Aging in wooden barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
I was talking with my buddy a few days ago and we got into a discussion about barrel aging. Doesnt wood contain ethanol that is extracted from contact with alcohol. Wouldn't the contents of wood contaminate beer and grain alcohol? Or is it just particular kinds of wood that contain these? I know that hard woods are better for smoking and bbqing because they contain less oils than there softer counterparts. Thanks!

I believe barrels used for aging are either charred, or affected in some other way. I think some barrels used for beer have already been used to age wine/whiskey.

wood doesnt contain ethanol, it contains cellulosic material that can be made into ethanol.

not sure what you mean about contaminating beer/alcohol

I would think that if wood caused contamination, someone in the brewing industry would have figured it out sometime in the last several centuries.

Have you tried Innis and Gunn? So freaking good. . . They did something right aging in used barrels. . .phenomenal beer.

I have some friends who do this a lot, though I have yet to participate.

I believe that, as depeanut says, the charring helps provide a seal to prevent contamination. Also, as you note, there's quite a bit of ethanol present from the liquor that was first aged in the barrels; that is really the whole point! And the alcohol absorbed in the wood and present as vapor in the interior all help keep things sanitary. And then this is all aided by the fact that it is generally pretty high-alcohol beers that are aged in them.

I've tried a few of the end products, and man are they gooood!!

Latest posts

Back