Aging in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradactal

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Belgian Tripel, 9.7%, and have some questions about aging in the keg. I transferred out of the primary after 14 days into a 5g keg. I really wanted to drink it at a party so I forced carbed and put it in the fridge. The beer tasted great, but I quickly realized, it needs to be aged a few months. My question is, if I have already carbed and it has been in the kegerator at 39*F for a week, can I still pull it out and age it? If I put it in a controlled environment would it still age correctly with Co2 in the beer? Trying to figure out the next steps for the remaining 4 gallons.

My question is, if I have already carbed and it has been in the kegerator at 39*F for a week, can I still pull it out and age it? If I put it in a controlled environment would it still age correctly with Co2 in the beer?

Warming it will cause most of the chemical reactions to accelerate. So if aging is what you want, go for it. But just be aware that staling reactions are a part of that too.

CO2 won't interfere in some way, if that's what you're concerned about.

Warming it will cause most of the chemical reactions to accelerate. So if aging is what you want, go for it. But just be aware that staling reactions are a part of that too.

CO2 won't interfere in some way, if that's what you're concerned about.
Yes, Co2 was my main concern!! Thank you!!

Back