Aging in in a Corny Keg in Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albysurfin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
New Here just got back into brewing after about a 10 year break, I converted my fridge to a kegerator so I could start kegging right away.

Anyways heres my question:I just Kegged my Mirror Pond Clone last night it spent 1 week in Primary and about 12 days in secondary and I thought it would be ready to keg, I kegged it and put it on c02 and in the fridge over night to let it get cold. Tried force carbonating at 35 and shook it for a few minutes and then let it sit for an hour came back and brought it down to about 10. it was very foamy but the beer seemed to be lacking body, in the flavor. Do you think this is because the beer is too young or not fully carbed? It has a great Golden color good hop notes but almost a non existent body or malt flavor. Or is the Beer simply too young and if so will it age on c02 in the kegerator or do I need to take it off C02 and age at room temp? Sorry for a total newbie question but I am stumped and kegging is a whole new world to me, that and I am relearning a lot from the long break and retraining my sense of taste.

Thanks so much!!!

Brian

I don't know about other people, but I prefer a different method of kegging. I'll set my PSI to whatever I'm serving the beer at, and then let it sit for a week. This is much better than force carbonating at 35psi, and you don't risk overcarbing your beer.

As for the taste....there's a lot of issues that could be happening. Seeing your recipe, fermentation temps, etc, would help out a lot. Most likely the beer is too young though. And extract (if that's what you're doing) never had much body for me. That's why I got sick of it and switched to all-grain.

Yeah I did this extract batch just as a getting back into it type of thing. I couldnt agree with you more about all grain, I plan on getting back into all grain again on my next batch.
Do you think it will affect it to take it out of the kegerator and condition it for a few more weeks at room temp about 73-76 degrees? Or should I just condition it on the fridge for a few weeks?

Here's the recipe I used:

3 lbs DME
3 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lbs crystal 40L
.25 lbs malto dextrin (Adds body and mouthfeel. For all extract beer does
not ferment.)

1 oz Cascade 60 min
1 oz Cascade 30 min
1 oz Cascade 5 minutes

Average Fermentation temp was 72-75 degrees

Hope this helps

Probably just green - after all it is less than 21 days old. I typically age/condition my beers in the keg at room temperature for 3-4 weeks before I chill them down for serving (I also prime them so they're all carbed up by that time).

It will age in the fridge, but much more slowly. I'd pull it out and let it condition at room temperature for at least a couple of weeks before trying again, I bet it improves.

I don't know about other people, but I prefer a different method of kegging. I'll set my PSI to whatever I'm serving the beer at, and then let it sit for a week. This is much better than force carbonating at 35psi, and you don't risk overcarbing your beer.

I do the same... mainly out of necessity, since I only have one regulator at this time and have four kegs in my kegerator. I don't feel like mucking around with the pressure all the time, so I ensure that I have enough time to let it carbonate over time rather than forcing it at a higher pressure.

Call it laziness if you wish, but it works for me.

I do the same... mainly out of necessity, since I only have one regulator at this time and have four kegs in my kegerator. I don't feel like mucking around with the pressure all the time, so I ensure that I have enough time to let it carbonate over time rather than forcing it at a higher pressure.

Call it laziness if you wish, but it works for me.

I don't call it laziness. I call it carbonating the safe way. When we brew a batch, most of us have already waited over a month...what's an extra week going to hurt?

+1 to bringing it to room temp for aging. I like to leave my kegged brews OUT of the kegerator unless they are carbing or being served. It will age in the cold, but just might take a wee bit longer.
-Me

Back