aging in corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoemaker

Reaction score
I read the other posts on this subject, but I'm still a little unclear of what to do with aging in a corny keg.

I want to move my amber ale in a keg for a few weeks to free up carboy space, but I don't want to carbonate it yet. Do I just hit it with 30 psi for a few minutes, then set it aside?

I was under the impression I release the valve after sealing it with the co2....or do I keep it under a little bit of pressure?

Thanks for the help.

Clean and sanitize it, then purge it with CO2. Rack the beer over, close the lid, purge again, and hit it with enough pressure to seal the lid. No need to bleed the pressure back off.

Purge and pressurize to get the oxygen out then let it sit. Just put some CO2 in then pull the release valve... do that 2-3 times then put it under pressure again, disconnect it and set it aside.

I may be missing something here but what difference does it make if it partially carbonates? Is it going to aging at room temperature or in a frige? At room temperature it won't absorb much C02 unless you put 30 psi + pressure on it.
Just curious??

Can you be a little more specific for this newbie. Do I attach to co2 and push 30 psi for how many seconds? DO i shake and then pull release valve? Then repeat the process?

The co2 you add is just to purge oxygen from the keg and to seal the lid. There is no point in shaking etc.

Back