Aging/Conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

28S

Reaction score
Okay, for my first question, I am preparing entries for the National Competition and I have a Double IPA and an American Amber on deck to brew. My question is; which one should I brew first? I doubt either will age too long, but which one would likely need the most conditioning, higher alcohol & IBUs or darker color? BTW, I'll be brewing the other one within two weeks.

David

The imperial IPA will take longer - both to mellow out just a bit, and also to dry hop (I wouldn't bother entering a contest with a non-dry hopped IPA), so I would make that first. Also, dry hop huge.

Sounds good. I'd usually go 3-4 weeks primary, then a 1 week secondary with the dry hops...but that's personal preference. An american amber you can probably turn around in a 3-4 week primary alone.

What are your recipe's and what yeasts are you using?

I don't have the exact recipes with me, but they're pretty typical for the styles. I will be using Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) from an appropriate starter for an adequate pitching rate.

Just wondering. I've been experimenting with hop bursting and never tried dry hopping with 3 oz. very interested in how it turns out

Just wondering. I've been experimenting with hop bursting and never tried dry hopping with 3 oz. very interested in how it turns out
I heard a quote from someone that it's "not worth dry hopping less than 2oz", and I took that to heart - I usually do 3-4oz for most hoppy beers. It definitely gives a big hop aroma.

I heard a quote from someone that it's "not worth dry hopping less than 2oz", and I took that to heart - I usually do 3-4oz for most hoppy beers. It definitely gives a big hop aroma.

I've dry hopped with as little as 1/2 oz in a pale ale. I think it was noticeable, but it got gigged in competition for not having enough aroma. It still placed 2nd in the APA category.

This will be my first with more than 2oz. Looking forward to it. It's a blend of Cascade, Nelson Sauvin, Sorachi Ace, and Amarillo. Very tasty.

I dry hopped my IPA with 1.5oz of hops. .5oz each of Columbus,Nugget,& Cascade. The smell hit me between the eyes as soon as I popped it open. Great aroma that matched the flavor of the 4.5oz I used in the boil as late additions.

I've dry hopped with as little as 1/2 oz in a pale ale. I think it was noticeable, but it got gigged in competition for not having enough aroma. It still placed 2nd in the APA category.

This will be my first with more than 2oz. Looking forward to it. It's a blend of Cascade, Nelson Sauvin, Sorachi Ace, and Amarillo. Very tasty.

The only problems I've had with higher dry hopping rates are that they soak up so much wort and you end up losing that - however my secondary carboys are 5 gallons, so I can't even make bigger batches!

Back