Aging Beer: A Catch-All for Cellar Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I should have clarified...

I have two bottles of Utopias already: 2005 and 2013. Both were purchased from bottle shops when "fresh" and have been stored in my changing definition of a beer cellar since. So, a 2011 would just be adding to my hoard.

I've actually never opened either bottle that I have. Yeah, really.

Calichusetts, have you noticed any change in the beer over the few years you've had it? Has oxidation or age had any effect on it?

I've only been in that store the one time, but there's no reason to suspect that there has been any crazy temp swings there. I'm sure it gets cool at night, but it was protected from any direct sunlight that would have caused it to get too warm.

Summarizing comments here, it doesn't sound like anyone would pass on it simply because it had been sitting on the shelf for a couple years. Most everyone who would pass would do so because they're not interested in paying the crazy price. (Yes, even though I have two bottles and am now considering a third, I agree with those who say the price is crazy.)

I guess I should have clarified...

I have two bottles of Utopias already: 2005 and 2013. Both were purchased from bottle shops when "fresh" and have been stored in my changing definition of a beer cellar since. So, a 2011 would just be adding to my hoard.

I've actually never opened either bottle that I have. Yeah, really.
What are you waiting for?

Nothing too noticable in terms of oxidation. Some sherry notes but there is so much going on in there, it blends nicely. The bottle is my brother-in-laws and I would say he does not go to great care to store it well.

I'm going to go the opposite direction with this thread for a minute if you guys don't mind. Recently I discovered a couple of my bottles have a 'Best by' date that I never noticed before. Great Lakes Blackout Stout..Boulevard Dark Truth..Brooklyn Brewery.. I'm looking at you. I think the dates were all within a year of bottling.

Is it safe to assume these are pasteurized? Is there any other explanation?

I'm going to go the opposite direction with this thread for a minute if you guys don't mind. Recently I discovered a couple of my bottles have a 'Best by' date that I never noticed before. Great Lakes Blackout Stout..Boulevard Dark Truth..Brooklyn Brewery.. I'm looking at you.

I would think most breweries dont want people hoarding bottles even though they age well. MY thoughts would be that they want us to drink ASAP and buy more. How old are these bottles? Im sure they are all still fine and probably pretty good.

I'm going to go the opposite direction with this thread for a minute if you guys don't mind. Recently I discovered a couple of my bottles have a 'Best by' date that I never noticed before. Great Lakes Blackout Stout..Boulevard Dark Truth..Brooklyn Brewery.. I'm looking at you. I think the dates were all within a year of bottling.

Also, some breweries believe the beer is perfect when they released it. Or, they at least want you to drink it while it tastes as the brewer intended it to. But hey, it's your beer.

Also, some breweries believe the beer is perfect when they released it. Or, they at least want you to drink it while it tastes as the brewer intended it to. But hey, it's your beer.

I wouldn't rule out that some breweries have a default "best by" date for all of their beers. I.E. everything that's bottled today, regardless of style, gets a date of 3-26-2015 on it. Even for beers that I intend to age, it's good to get an idea of how long it's already been sitting on a store shelf.

What are you waiting for?

I think it was marked $315, plus I'll have to pay to check a bag on my flight home. I'm not saying I won't buy it, but I've got to think about that for a bit first. :)

They also had a couple bottles of Black Ops. If I'm checking a bag anyway...

I wouldn't rule out that some breweries have a default "best by" date for all of their beers. I.E. everything that's bottled today, regardless of style, gets a date of 3-26-2015 on it. Even for beers that I intend to age, it's good to get an idea of how long it's already been sitting on a store shelf.

This is what I was thinking if not pasteurized. It might also be a good idea to list which beers are pasteurized in this thread... I know there are some sours and other big beers that are. I think there's a thread about culturing yeast somewhere around here that lists a lot of them already...

I think it was marked $315, plus I'll have to pay to check a bag on my flight home. I'm not saying I won't buy it, but I've got to think about that for a bit first. :)

Ouch, $315?! I would pass that up. You can trade someone for the same bottle for less then that probably.

Screw that. And the real reason it has been sitting and will continue to sit. What a shame.

Yeah, IIRC, i paid about half that for the 2005 and around $200 for the 2013.

Yeah they should be $200. I just bought a 2013 for another member on this site, and it was $200, and the owner threw in a Doris the crusher for buying it.

Yeah they should be $200. I just bought a 2013 for another member on this site, and it was $200, and the owner threw in a Doris the crusher for buying it.

I was thinking that if i went back to buy it I'd talk him down on price or walk. Seems like if you've had it on the shelf for two years you'd lower the price. Then again, the price is starting to high, may not get him down far enough to make it work the effort.

I was thinking that if i went back to buy it I'd talk him down on price or walk. Seems like if you've had it on the shelf for two years you'd lower the price. Then again, the price is starting to high, may not get him down far enough to make it work the effort.

I'm not sure I'd put that much effort into it. I'd say - hey, it seems like this retails for $200 in other stores. This one is a few years old, will you sell it for that price? If the answer is no, throw up an ISO here on HBT.

I meant, why haven't you opened the ones you already have?

I meant, why haven't you opened the ones you already have?

Oh, THAT "what are you waiting for".

I honestly have no idea. I got married in 2012 and we didn't even open it then. (We did have a few Dark Lords, Baller Stouts, KBS and others from the cellar that day.)

Alright I have another one. I just ran into 2 bottles of The Beast from Avery, batch 6 bottled in 2008. Anyone have experience with this beer and this age or older?

Alright I have another one. I just ran into 2 bottles of The Beast from Avery, batch 6 bottled in 2008. Anyone have experience with this beer and this age or older?

I got an '08 beast as a gift and haven't tried it yet. That said, I know a few people who have bought the Demon Series and have aged them that long with success. If you are confident they were stored well and the price is reasonable, I wouldn't pass it up.

I got an '08 beast as a gift and haven't tried it yet. That said, I know a few people who have bought the Demon Series and have aged them that long with success. If you are confident they were stored well and the price is reasonable, I wouldn't pass it up.

Sorry, I should have said I purchased two bottles. They were in the cooler at a beer centered liquor store. They even made a point of having their lights blocked from bottles, windows tinted etc, to ensure proper storage. I dont doubt that these have been properly stored.

They also had a 2007 Samaels that I passed up because the foil was messed up. Im sure its fine, but I didnt know much about that beer either.

EDIT: They were both only $10 a piece, so I figured I wasnt risking much.

Sorry, I should have said I purchased two bottles. They were in the cooler at a beer centered liquor store. They even made a point of having their lights blocked from bottles, windows tinted etc, to ensure proper storage. I dont doubt that these have been properly stored.

Ah, in that case you should drink one and tell me what you think!

Seriously though, I would get a fresh one and drink it with one of the aged ones. Comparing fresh and aged might give you a hint of how much longer the other bottle last. My gut says drink both within 10 years.

Although every vintage is a little different, this guy tasted one aged 6 years:
http://ericthebeergeek.blogspot.com/2012/08/avery-beast-grand-cru-2006-beer-review.html

They also had a 2007 Samaels that I passed up because the foil was messed up. Im sure its fine, but I didnt know much about that beer either.

EDIT: They were both only $10 a piece, so I figured I wasnt risking much.

Ha, I just checked my inventory and realized the one I have is a Samael, not a Beast. Considering these are $8-9 each fresh, I think it is worth $10 to have someone else do the storing and waiting.

Thanks for that article! I think I will try one in the next month or so, and keep the other one for its 10th birthday :D

I found a stash of Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend sitting on a dark shelf for $23.99 a bottle. Any one think it would worth buying them up?

Damn that's a lot for 12+oz of beer. Coming from a guy that just paid $24 for a red poppy :p

Doubt I can find it cheaper. Also given the costs of producing and getting it to where it is, understandable.

So I have a cellar question... what do you all do if you don't have a basement? Previous house I had a basement, great! But we moved and now we live in a house on slab. I have a good amount of bottles I'd like to keep aging (Dark Lord mostly), but not sure about the proper route. I'm guessing I have to set up a fridge, but I've read you shouldn't age for a long time in a fridge due to the low humidity (why should I care, they are capped bottles?)

So I have a cellar question... what do you all do if you don't have a basement? Previous house I had a basement, great! But we moved and now we live in a house on slab. I have a good amount of bottles I'd like to keep aging (Dark Lord mostly), but not sure about the proper route. I'm guessing I have to set up a fridge, but I've read you shouldn't age for a long time in a fridge due to the low humidity (why should I care, they are capped bottles?)

A fridge, or if you have corked bottles (like I do), you may also consider a wine cooler (like I am). Of course, those mostly accommodate bottles lying down, so bottles standing up (as you would want to all beer, IMO) may require replacing or modifying the shelves in a wine cooler.

Yeah, I can't think of anything other than a fridge. I don't think humidity will drastically affect capped bottles. Even if they are corked, supposedly the carbonation in beer will keep the humidity high enough in bottles to prevent corkage.

Back