Aging an RIS - Store at Room Temp or Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nberna19

Reaction score
Just brewed Classic Styles' Russian Imperial Stout and intend on bottling it and aging for about 6 months per Jamil's recommendation. Would it be best to age the bottles at room temperature (~70 F) or in the fridge (~38 F)? Do I have to worry about staling or oxidation if left at room temp for 6 months even though it's such a big beer (1091 OG)? Thanks for the help!

Got somewhere in between? Of those two, I'd choose room temp, it'll age a bit faster that way, which is what you're looking for in a bigger beer. Never made a RIS, but this worked well for the bigger beers that I've made.
In a perfect world, I'd have an cellar that was about 55 degrees. I don't live in a perfect world.

StoneHands said:
Got somewhere in between? Of those two, I'd choose room temp, it'll age a bit faster that way, which is what you're looking for in a bigger beer. Never made a RIS, but this worked well for the bigger beers that I've made.
In a perfect world, I'd have an cellar that was about 55 degrees. I don't live in a perfect world.

Agreed. I have a pantry that stays steady ~69F and that's where my Barleywine will be aging til Christmas. After that I may shift it to the beer fridge for the longer term.

Man, I wish I could afford your room temperatures. Mine is between 76-80 during the summer months.

Would storing around 76-80 be ok as well?

Back