Aging a Stout - Temperature???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phendog

Reaction score
I brewed an Imperial Stout a week ago - OG: 1.095. I took a reading this morning and it's at 1.040. I still have plenty of airlock activity and hoping to get down to 1.024 or below.

After fermentation is completely done, I am going to add Cacao Nibs for 36hrs, rack to a secondary, add a split vanilla bean for about 2 weeks and then keep conditioning until November 1st.

Everything I read says 65degs is my target temp for conditioning.

My quandary is this. The Stout is in a Ss Brewing temp controlled fermenter. But, keeping the Stout in there until November 1st will hold me up from making more brews - most of my brews require fermentation around 67degs. AND,... I want to brew a Baltic Porter and dump right on top of the Stout yeast cake as soon as I rack the Stout to secondary.

First,... How long would you leave the Stout on the yeast cake in the Ss Fermenter?

Second,...Can I condition the Stout in one of my glass carboys with a constant house temp of ~71degs,... or is that too warm?

I need to have the Stout AND the Porter ready to drink by November 24th for the 1st day of Deer season (Northwestern PA).

Once primary is complete, I get my beers off the yeast. I would bottle the stout (after the cocoa / vanilla add), then bottle condition while carbing. I have done chocolate in a Robust Porter, delicious, btw.

Anymore I like to condition at fridge temps. I love how things age and stay longer at peak. 65 seems warm to me. With that said, 71 would be fine as long as you aren't getting temp swings. I would still cut the aging time by at least a couple weeks.

I say initial carbing and conditioning at the low end of what the yeast does. For maybe a month or so. Check a bottle to see if it is fully carbed. From there I´d either keep it at cellar temp for consumption within the year, or fridge for best aging and years of joy (if you did all else right).

After bottling, I'd keep it warm (room temp) until the taste is the way you like. Once it tastes perfect, store it as cold as possible (close to freezing), so that the taste won't change.

I have a stout that's been in room temperature, 70 F or more, for over 8 months now, and it's slowly getting better (it wasn't very good to start with, too harsh taste)...

Latest posts

Back