aggonizing starter question :O)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
i know how to make a starter with dme. i don't have any :) i plan to steal half a pound of grain from my bag and steep it at 150 for twenty to thirty minutes or so in a quart or two of water. then toss my yeast in there and see what happens. i reckon it will be similar to making a starter from dme.

thoughts?

If you use grain instead of DME, you should be fine. Regular 2 row pale malt will give you about 36 gravity points per pound per gallon, not taking into account efficiency. At 70% efficiency, 1/2 pound in 1/2 gallon (2 quarts) will give you about a 1.025 wort, which is just about right.

I would go ahead and do a little mini mash. Don't steep the grain in a bag, crush it and make a real mash in a pot on the stove. Maintain 150 F for at least 30 minutes and strain the runnings through a collander or something. Mash in with about 1 quart of water, then sparge with another quart for a total of 2 quarts for your starter. Then boil as usual. This will take you some extra time, but will work just fine.

Prosit!

excactly what i did. as i was begining to steep the grains, i thought, this isn't too sanitary, i'll have to boil it... :D

i got about a litre total cooling right now. i strained it through some cheese cloth but there was very little husk material in there. i don't think the cold break trub will hurt me that much, i gonna try and pour it carefuly...

Back