Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs2003

Reaction score
I'm just curious how old everyone was when they started brewing their own beer...I'm 21 and I'll be making my first brew next week. No one in my family has done this, so I will be a first. Hopefully I'll start a family legacy/tradition here.

abs2003 said:
I'm just curious how old everyone was when they started brewing their own beer...I'm 21 and I'll be making my first brew next week. No one in my family has done this, so I will be a first. Hopefully I'll start a family legacy/tradition here.

29, I had no idea you could even do this until I saw Amber Waves on Good Eats.

I started last week when my girlfriend got me a homebrewing setup for my 24th birthday.

I started when I was 20 - Actually I was helping out my brother-in-law most of the time but I brewed a batch myself then. After ten years of dreaming about brewing and starting a family I decided to get back into it at age 30. Been brewing ever since.

My goal is to brew the best beer in the world and make thousands of clone batches. Just haven't found that beer yet. All have been great - I just have not fallen in love with any of them. So I find myself going from style to style. I think that eventually it will be a lager. I don't have the means to brew them yet so I have to settle for ales - (ha, as if that is a bad thing...NOT).

Good luck and have a great time. It is an art!!

- WW

I'd been thinking about learning to make wine for a while, since one of the ladies on our women's Geezer hockey team has been making wine for 30 years and it's great. She plowed into me by mistake in March and broke my leg in 3 places. I had much time on my hands, so I started with wine in April. The wine is great- but it takes about a year before it's truly drinkable! I've had one bottle so far.

I've been loving microbeers for ages, although they are had to get up here in the northwoods, and my wine kit came with an "ale pale". I found this board, and started brewing beer. It's ready much faster than wine, and I'm an immediate gratification kind of person! My very first beer was great.

And so, at the age of 42, I'm hooked!

Lorena

I'm 26 and started last year. My Dad also brewed when he was about my age, but gave it up a long time ago but he's really interested to try what I make, when I get my first drinkable one (Mr Beer kits for the first few batches were barely drinkable, and I have my first "real" batch bottled and conditioning now, we'll see how it is)

27, A friend suggested I try brewing my own a few months ago when I was complaining on how much I spend on microbrews and ive been hooked ever since.

48, my best friend got her boyfriend and I, "Brew Sacks". Without a doubt the worst homebrew on the planet!

its so great to know theres hundreds of people out there that are just like me, you know, beer drinking maniacs :) but seriously, i cant wait to start my first brew, i hope it turns out...im startin with a brown ale because i heard theyre the most forgiving (plus i like them). i was actually gonna get a mr beer as well, but then i asked myself, 2 gallons vs 5 gallons...hmmmm. im going to have to welcome a beer belly soon! haha

32 when I bought all my initial equipment and did that first batch.

Stopped for almost 9 years. (don't ask)

Now at 40, it's all starting again. :mug:

Ize

Started two months ago at the young age of 24. I'm the first of my family/friends to homebrew and only became aware of being able to Homebrew 3 months ago after hearing about my neighbor making his own wine ... which led me to research brewing beer (since I love beer) and to which I find this site and the rest is history.

10 years of thinking about it and wanting to do it finally lead to me purchasing a kit last year at the age of 30. Previously, my accomodations were less than perfect for brewing.

Just hit my one year anniversary a few months ago. Here's what's amazing about this hobby: I, unlike most of you, have smoked crack on numerous occasions, yet found it less addictive and thrilling than home brewing. (By the way, I haven't smoked a rock in about 8 years and I was never, ever a regular user. Just didn't say no on a few occasions.)

I'm 21 and I started about a year ago. Drinking age is 18 here.

Again, wish I'd started earlier. Could have used these skills when I was 17!

I was 30 and photohands wife called me and said Jay you have to come over Alten brown (love that guy)is doing a show it was called barley hops and yeast. photohand and I were at the local home brew shop the next day started with a five gallon batch of pale ale (partial extract) and Quickly went to AG after about 4 batches I think only bottled 1 batch as thats a pain in the A$$. bought a keggorator and have been brewing ever since. we have taken a LOOOONG lull because we decited to build a system currently about half way completed not really much left to do just cant seem to find the time. Lame excuse I know But its all I got. This sight is a GREAT motovator for me I hve been on photohands A$$ really heavy the last couple of months to get back in gear.
JJ

jaybird said:
I was 30 and photohands wife called me and said Jay you have to come over Alten brown (love that guy)is doing a show it was called barley hops and yeast. photohand and I were at the local home brew shop the next day started with a five gallon batch of pale ale (partial extract) and Quickly went to AG after about 4 batches I think only bottled 1 batch as thats a pain in the A$$. bought a keggorator and have been brewing ever since. we have taken a LOOOONG lull because we decited to build a system currently about half way completed not really much left to do just cant seem to find the time. Lame excuse I know But its all I got. This sight is a GREAT motovator for me I hve been on photohands A$$ really heavy the last couple of months to get back in gear.
JJ

why do you call your wife "photohands"?:confused:

my girlfriend got me a kit this past christmas, and i finally used it in april soon after turning 26.

i bought these things called E-Z-Caps

http://www.juneau-alaska.us/ezcap/

to make my own cider a few years ago, but it was crap. it did get me drunk, but rarely tasted good.

so glad i can enjoy the fruits of my labor now, plsu ive always preferred beer,

I'm 33 now and started with extract kits when I was 14 with my Dad. We did one batch and he gave up. I carried on going and moved to AG when I was about 19.

O.K. Cheesfood, your 31? I am old. 47...Started after I got excited about my wife's niece' husband (yeah, follow that), while at a microbrewery, discussed his hobby of homebrewing. She got me a kit last Christmas and at least 20 batches later here I am.

I talked about brewing my own beer for years. A buddy used to do it, but his beer always tasted like dirty socks, so I just assumed it must be really hard to brew.

I'm 36 now and I am bottling my second batch tomorrow.

My first batch was not so good. I was so concerned with avoiding the trub that I strained out most of the good stuff too. I also mistook the starting gravity for the finishing gravity. Oops. I ended up with carbonated water that looked and tasted vaguely like beer.

This second batch (first real batch, I think) seems to be going well. Perhaps I had a little fast fermentation, which caused some panic, but after doing some reading here, on howtobrew, and The Joy of Homebrewing, I think everything went fine.

After I bottle tomorrow, I am going to brew another batch on Sunday. I'm thinking of gettin' all crazy and trying one of Papazian's recipes. The Righteous American Real Ale looks good. I've used kits so far.

Anyway, sorry for the long post...it's my first one here!!!
:ban:

Brewed my first batch of beer the day before my 23rd birthday, which was this April. I'm brewing a Czech pilsner tomorrow morning for my 4th beer. I have several friends who have brewed their own, one who does 10-15 gallon batches of extract brews and one who uses Mr. Beer.

Back