Agave nectar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
I have a Mr beer kit and was thinking about trying a agave wheat beer. Has anyone used agave nectar? Should I just scrap this plan?

Find the dark agave nectar. It has the most flavor It's usually listed as "raw" and you're more likely to find it in the organic section of the store or maybe with the honey.

There's a honey-colored nectar that will do ok but it won't contribute a lot of flavor. Then there is agave syrup which is completely refined. You might as well just add table sugar.

I used agave syrup on my first beer as priming sugar an irish stout from a mr beer kit. It worked great compared to the table sugar carbed ones.

Forgot to mention, it tasted better the day after it was opened. Somehow the agave seemed to become more pronounced and the beer became smoother. Just give it a try, but make sure to pay attention to the amount of sugar in the nectar.

Back