AG Help Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty420th

Reaction score
We are doing out first All Grain brew tonight. We are doing a 10 Gallon Batch of Ruination

30lbs of grain
initial water 37.50 Qt strike
8.23 Gal of Sparge

does this seem right?

I just wanted to make sure with the hour we are steeping right now we are okay on the water figures.

Also, do you let the sparge sit for 10-15 minutes are just start running right from the get go. Also, would you recommend having a higher temp for the sparge?

LHBS said, keep the temp the same for the sparge

thanks in advance t-minus 55 left in steep

Strike water amount is fine.

Sparge until you get your boil volume- 8 gallons or so seems right.

If you're batch sparging, you'll need to have the sparge temperature hot enough to get your grain bed to 168 or so. Usually that's close to 180-200 degrees for the first addition of sparge water. If you don't have any brewing software, you''ll have to guestimate it. I'd guess around 4 gallons of 190 degree water should get you in the ballpark, but I'd use software if it was me!

The second round of batch sparging should be at 170 or so, since your grainbed should already be at 168.

If you're batch sparging, no need to wait. Add the water, stir very well, vorlauf, and drain. Repeat.

thanks for the quick replies.

I used beersmith to calculate the water figures. My main question at this point is what the temperature of the sparge water should be, some say it should stay the same as the initial strike water, others say have a higher temperature. Just checked and temp is spot on in the MLT at 152.

Like I said above, sparge temp is the main question.

Also, love the site, I have learned a lot in the couple of months I have been trolling the forums...you guys are great

Latest posts

Back