AG Hefeweizen Protein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxwrench

Reaction score
I just brewed my first AG wheat beer and have a few questions for some more experienced AG brewers. I brewed a Hefe today with 60 % wheat malt and 40 % 2 row. Did a protein rest at 124 F for 15 mintutes and Sac. at 152 for 60 min, cooled as usual, took about 30 min to get to 75 F. I realize that wheat has a higher protein content that barley but I have never seen this before, there was a LOT of suspended protein floating around, see attached pics. Also my OG reading seemed quite high, will alot of floating protein affect hyrometer readings? my estimated OG was 0.051 and ended up at 0.055 so just wondering if that can throw readings off. The particles have settled out like normal after about an hour, see other pic. Also, after it settled, wort seems darker than it should be, I didnt use any specialty grains and did normal 60 min boil?? Anyway just curious if this amount of particles is normal for AG wheat brewing. Thanks

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

mxwrench said:
I just brewed my first AG wheat beer and have a few questions for some more experienced AG brewers. I brewed a Hefe today with 60 % wheat malt and 40 % 2 row. Did a protein rest at 124 F for 15 mintutes and Sac. at 152 for 60 min, cooled as usual, took about 30 min to get to 75 F. I realize that wheat has a higher protein content that barley but I have never seen this before, there was a LOT of suspended protein floating around, see attached pics. Also my OG reading seemed quite high, will alot of floating protein affect hyrometer readings? my estimated OG was 0.051 and ended up at 0.055 so just wondering if that can throw readings off. The particles have settled out like normal after about an hour, see other pic. Also, after it settled, wort seems darker than it should be, I didnt use any specialty grains and did normal 60 min boil?? Anyway just curious if this amount of particles is normal for AG wheat brewing. Thanks

Interesting. Can't wait to see what others have to say.

Yup that looks about right for a wheat beer. I brew quite a few wheats and that looks about normal.

Ok good to hear.. I couldn't believe how it looked during the boil, looked different than any other beer I've done. Lots of large particles. Do yours turn out that dark? If so, I wonder how to make it lighter?

Do I trust the hydrometer reading with that protein in there? If that's right I hit about 85 efficiency

mxwrench said:
Do I trust the hydrometer reading with that protein in there? If that's right I hit about 85 efficiency

Yup. Protein rests really help. I've done a few wheats too, and they have more trub like that. The darkness is normal too. Concentrated particles like that stop light flow. It will get lighter in the glass. You may have caramelized a bit of the sugars.

It sounds like you may have boiled too hard. More rapid boiling will darken the beer a bit.

And the hydrometer readings are fine.

This brew is REALLY fermenting now (about 12 hours after pitching)... Cant wait to try this one. Thanks for the advice guys.Cheers

I had some of the same questions. I brewed my first AG wheat beer on Sunday with 60/40 wheat/2-row and it had tons of protein particulates. It was really cloudy and looked off-color (almost a grayish tinge?)..kinda similar to your first picture.

My OG reading was also high (shooting for 1.053 and got 1.058), but I chalked that up to using my new mill for the first time. I didn't do a protein rest like you, just single step infusion. Mine's in a bucket (currently bubbling away), so I'm not sure what it looks like right now...just assuming that most of the crap will settle in primary and it'll look fine when racking.

I was afraid that I milled the wheat wrong or something, but my OG reading was a cause of relief.

yep, it will. i brew lots of wheats; got another 1 up next. there are tons of particulates in wheat, but they settle out nicely

Back