AG extract conversion recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHBrewgirl

Reaction score
I found the following witbier extract conversion recipe on the recipes forum and would like to give it a try today. I bought the ingredients yesterday, but now have questions before getting started. Mostly, I want make sure that the recipe has enough extract. It looks like the grains will be steeped, rather than mashed, since there is nothing in the recipe to release the enzymes. Without a true mash, will 4 pounds of extract be enough for a 5 gallon brew? Assuming I'm correct that the grains are steeped, rather than mashed, should I plan to abide by the 1.25-1.5 quarts of water rule of thumb used for mashing, or does the water volume for this type of steeping matter? Sadly, it is too snowy to drive back to the home brew store today, so I'm mostly looking for advice on whether this recipe will work, rather than changes or additions that would further improve upon it.

Originally Posted by BierMuncher
This should be a good base:
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

1.49 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast #3944 or White Labs WLP400) Definitely want a Belgian Wit yeast though.

Mash your flaked wheat at 155 degrees for 60-75 minutes (the longer will up the efficiency and ABV%)

Strain the wheat grains out and bring wort to boil, add extracts and you know the rest...

I think the flaked wheat is a problem- without a mash, all you'll get is starch haze from it.

You could add some malted wheat, or some base malt, but I think two pounds of flaked wheat alone is an issue. I'm not sure, though, since I've never steeped flaked wheat alone.

Biermuncher's recipes are solid, though, so if that's what he says it might very well be correct.

Thanks so much for the input! I've been doing some more research on ways I can make this work without wasting what I already have, but am fairly certain at this point that I need either more extract or something to make a true mash. If I were able to brave the snowstorm and get to the home brew store, do you think adding a couple pounds of 2-row to make a mini mash at the beginning would get me the results I want or is there a better malt option for a witbier? I've only done extract brewing from recipes so far and I haven't yet figured out to do the calculations necessary to throw my own recipes together and know I'm not making a mess of things.

Thanks so much for the input! I've been doing some more research on ways I can make this work without wasting what I already have, but am fairly certain at this point that I need either more extract or something to make a true mash. If I were able to brave the snowstorm and get to the home brew store, do you think adding a couple pounds of 2-row to make a mini mash at the beginning would get me the results I want or is there a better malt option for a witbier? I've only done extract brewing from recipes so far and I haven't yet figured out to do the calculations necessary to throw my own recipes together and know I'm not making a mess of things.

I am NOT a wit expert (hate the stuff'!) but I think that you may try a pound of two-row or wheat malt in the mash.

But since it's a snowstorm, you can certainly try to do it the way it's written. the worst that can happen is a starch haze, but wits are hazy anyway so I don't think it'd be a terrible thing.

Thanks so much for your help! I ended up picking up two pounds of two-row to make the mash and the OG came out spot on. Hopefully that's a sign for good things to come!

Back