AG efficiency difference...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchidbeer

Reaction score
I have brewed 3 all grain batches (3.5 gallon). The first one I stirred the mash at 30 minutes (60 minute mash) and got an efficiency of 72-73%. The next two I did not stir (also 60 minute mash) and the efficiency was 64%. Is it possible the stirring contributed to the difference or could it just be coincidental.

TIA, Joe

orchidbeer said:
I have brewed 3 all grain batches (3.5 gallon). The first one I stirred the mash at 30 minutes (60 minute mash) and got an efficiency of 72-73%. The next two I did not stir (also 60 minute mash) and the efficiency was 64%. Is it possible the stirring contributed to the difference or could it just be coincidental.

TIA, Joe

All else being identical from crush to pH to grain etc then yes, stirring the mash can raise your efficiency!

Yup, grain bed agitation can get you higher efficiency. However, there are a ton of variables that play into it like duboman noted, so all things being equal, your system will produce the same efficiency every time you produce the same recipe.

Do people not stir their mash? I though I was supposed it be stirring it repeatedly.

There is no right or wrong in that. It does provide a variable for you though as you aren't going to stir the same from batch to batch...but, I'm sure if you decide to stir for x amount of time each batch you will be pretty consistent.

Yeah I struggle with that. I use a rectangle cooler for mashtun and drop inn.25 gallons of 175-180 degree water when I stir to attempt to maintain temps. Not the best practice and it makes the math harder. Maybe I'll try letting it just sit.

Yeah I struggle with that. I use a rectangle cooler for mashtun and drop inn.25 gallons of 175-180 degree water when I stir to attempt to maintain temps. Not the best practice and it makes the math harder. Maybe I'll try letting it just sit.

I'm in the same boat with a cooler mashtun. I let it sit and then I use a pump to vorlauf at the end while adding a gallon or so of 175-180 degree water to get things flowing nicely until the grain bed is established and the wort has cleared.

Back