AG BIAB Concept

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewInTheFort

Reaction score
I'm starting my first AG batch this weekend in a converted 10 gal MT (converted cooler). I plan on using a loop of SS braid under a 12lb grain bill for an Amber Ale. I also plan to fly sparge with a 5 gal HLT (converted cooler).

I've read quite a bit about all of the differences between manifolds, false bottoms, braid, etc. and the effects of different sparging methods.

I'm curious what the effects are of using a large grain bag in the MT to aid in the clean up process and possibly limit the chances of a stuck sparge? Basically, a BIAB concept in the MT.

Thanks in advance for everyone's knowledge and help.

While it may make your cleanup easier, I'm not so sure there will be much other benefit.

As far as preventing a stuck sparge, not sure there either?

Be careful, with the bag and braid, you will have two means of filtering, and may get a cleaner runoff, but this may also possibly lead to a stuck sparge.

Good luck.
Wilser

I'm not sure I see the benefit of the grain bag. All you have to do is dump the grains out of the MLT, right? That doesn't sound harder than pulling out a heavy wet bag of grain.

I do BIAB in a cooler so really MIAB. I don't see how this is any different than that with messier cleanup...maybe I'm missing something

I'm starting my first AG batch this weekend in a converted 10 gal MT (converted cooler). I plan on using a loop of SS braid under a 12lb grain bill for an Amber Ale. I also plan to fly sparge with a 5 gal HLT (converted cooler).

I've read quite a bit about all of the differences between manifolds, false bottoms, braid, etc. and the effects of different sparging methods.

I'm curious what the effects are of using a large grain bag in the MT to aid in the clean up process and possibly limit the chances of a stuck sparge? Basically, a BIAB concept in the MT.

Thanks in advance for everyone's knowledge and help.

This is exactly what I do. I think the benefits are no vorloufing and no stuck sparges. I guess we can call the cleaning a wash (lol).

Back