AG Bacon Beer (bacon extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
So I am piecing together the bacon beer recipe from northern brewer but I can't find bacon extract. NB doesn't sell it and only provides it in their kit. Any idea where I can purchase this ingredient? I tried Whole foods and Trader Joes with no luck. I can order on amazon but it's super expensive. Any other ideas?

I've seen a way to make bacon infused vodka to add to your brew on here somewhere. I'd search for it. I once thought of making a maple bacon Porter. Maybe one day I'll try it. I hope that helps.

That sounds good. I'd just be worried about infection, plus oils that the bacon has on it are a big no no I believe. The one I saw they used bacon grease and vodka. I don't remember exactly how they did it, but vodka is much more sanitary than just straight cooked bacon IMHO.

That sounds good. I'd just be worried about infection, plus oils that the bacon has on it are a big no no I believe. The one I saw they used bacon grease and vodka. I don't remember exactly how they did it, but vodka is much more sanitary than just straight cooked bacon IMHO.

I agree. After more research I found an article on how to make vodka infused with bacon. I will do it this way.....http://www.bettycrocker.com/tips/tipslibrary/ingredients/how-to-make-bacon-infused-vodka#!

I only need a little bit for a 5 gallon batch.

Very nice! That sounds like a plan. I'll have to use that if I ever end up making a maple bacon porter. I just think that sounds good. Possibly even a maple bacon stout. Good luck! I hope it works out and let me know how it turns out.

I wouldn't be worried about using real bacon right after cooking. Seems like those kind of temps would kill anything harmful for beer as it would anything that could kill YOU. Just my take...

So many beers... so little time.

I wouldn't be worried about using real bacon right after cooking. Seems like those kind of temps would kill anything harmful for beer as it would anything that could kill YOU. Just my take...

I don't think its the bacon itself that will be the problem...I think its mainly the oils of the bacon which are extracted in the method the op linked. The oils from what I remember can be a big threat and can kill head retention as well.

Ah... head retention might be a plausible point but infection risk I would think should be minimal.

I don't think its the bacon itself that will be the problem...I think its mainly the oils of the bacon which are extracted in the method the op linked. The oils from what I remember can be a big threat and can kill head retention as well.

Which is exactly why I made bacon infused vodka. After filtering 5 times there is no grease or bacon fat in the finished product. It's basically vodka with tons of bacon flavor. You can hardly taste the vodka :) Besides....I am only going to add about 40ML of this bacon extract.

Which is exactly why I made bacon infused vodka. After filtering 5 times there is no grease or bacon fat in the finished product. It's basically vodka with tons of bacon flavor. You can hardly taste the vodka :) Besides....I am only going to add about 40ML of this bacon extract.

I kinda want to try this now! I might just make some bacon infused...well I don't have vodka and I never do...so ill make moonshine! Which I bought from a local LEGAL distillery. I'm thinkin this might make some damn good bloody Mary's! Glad it worked out for you BansheeRider.

I used Oscar Meyer bacon bits in the secondary of a bacon smoked porter I made. No problem with head retention or infection.

Amazon is selling a bottle of bacon extract:
http://www.amazon.com/Bacon-Extract-Natural-Flavor-Blend/dp/B00F7ZFB5M

It's a little pricey (with S&H), so I would probably go with the Betty Crocker suggestion. Good luck!

Amazon has bee selling this for a while now. I didn't buy it because of the price.

I used Oscar Meyer bacon bits in the secondary of a bacon smoked porter I made. No problem with head retention or infection.

I am drinking my beer now. The vodka tasted so much like bacon. Now in the beer there is very little to no bacon flavor. Either I didn't add enough or I added it too early (flame out). Next time I may try adding the vodka in secondary a week before kegging.

This beer is still very good despite the lack of bacon flavor. I put a pound of cherrywood smoked malt which gives it a nice smokey flavor. It kinda tastes like a smoked redtail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am drinking my beer now. The vodka tasted so much like bacon. Now in the beer there is very little to no bacon flavor. Either I didn't add enough or I added it too early (flame out). Next time I may try adding the vodka in secondary a week before kegging.

This beer is still very good despite the lack of bacon flavor. I put a pound of cherrywood smoked malt which gives it a nice smokey flavor. It kinda tastes like a smoked redtail.

Mine wasn't supposed to be bacon forward. It was a smoked porter, with a hint of bacon flair. It turned out very nice and I will be doing it again for sure.

Mine wasn't supposed to be bacon forward. It was a smoked porter, with a hint of bacon flair. It turned out very nice and I will be doing it again for sure.

Can you post the recipe? I would think with roasted malts it would be tough to have that bacon flavor come out.

Bacon Smoked Porter

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 22.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
7.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM
3.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (250.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)

Safale-04

Fermented for 2 weeks and used a 3oz package of Oscar Mayer "Real Bacon Bits" with hickory smoke flavor added. The soft ones, not those hard crunchy bits.

Bacon Smoked Porter

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 22.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
7.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM
3.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (250.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)

Safale-04

Fermented for 2 weeks and used a 3oz package of Oscar Mayer "Real Bacon Bits" with hickory smoke flavor added. The soft ones, not those hard crunchy bits.

Wow that's a lot of smoked malt!

Latest posts

Back