After fermentation, can I move these carboys to room temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I'm fermenting a 10g batch of Belgian Tripel and have brewed this exact recipe a half dozen times (OG 1.080, Wyeast 3522 Ardennes). My regimen is usually this:

Day 1, brew
Day 7, FG is reached (or very close)
Day 14-17, package (if kegged, I let it sit cold and on gas for 2 weeks before drinking. If bottled, I let sit 2 weeks in bottles before drinking

In the past, I've kept it at a steady 68F after fermentation is complete with the help of my chest freezer prior to packaging, but unfortunately this ties up the fermentation chamber and delays the next brew day--and I want to get started on a nice Kolsch with the weather improving.

Can I move these carboys into the house (constant 70F) or into the garage (ranges from 55-65 throughout the day) for the week prior to packaging and end up with essentially the same beer? If not, what exactly is happening in the beer that requires this temperature or temperature range?

Can I move these carboys into the house (constant 70F) or into the garage (ranges from 55-65 throughout the day) for the week prior to packaging and end up with essentially the same beer? If not, what exactly is happening in the beer that requires this temperature or temperature range?

The yeast might still be cleaning up some of their byproducts, such as diacetyl and acetaldehyde. They might slow down at lower temps. But assuming they merely slow down, the answer would be to give them more time.

From a practical standpoint, there's almost no difference between 68 and 70. Move it to the house - it's a Belgian yeast, it'll be happy.

I am a pretty new brewer, and I brew APA's and IPA's exclusively. I have a mini-fridge with an ink-bird external controller to maintain temperature, and I always move my fermented beer out of the fermentation chamber to a shelf (72-75 degrees) for a rest/dry-hopping before bottling.....so far all is well, so I don't think it should cause a problem for you either....

YMMV

Lon

Latest posts

Back