After advice regarding old old old bottle of guinness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffmeister

Reaction score
So I have a classic bottle of guinness which I bought (as a child - on holiday in ireland in 1998) clearing out my parents house I came across it... the sell by date is 1998 and its the old branding... it seems a shame to just waste seeing its survived this long in a cupboard...and given the age it seems a shame to just open.

I have no idea if its poisonous, aged better or what...

Has anyone had any experience with essentially historical - probably 25ish year old beer

Thoughts?

My first thought is Ebay. Some one might want it way more than you do and turn it into a new piece of brewing equipment for you.

Either that, or just make an occasion out of drinking it, then continue to save the bottle for your memories. 1998 is not a vintage year for pretty much anything.

I have a late 1980's bottle of Ballentine Ale I somehow never drank. I had just moved rentals back then and I'd tossed it in with clean laundry while clearing out old place. Somehow it ended up in my sock drawer in my new place. I knew it was likely pretty skunked so it just sat there by inertia.

My new girlfriend happened on it and freaked out, saying stashing bottles around meant I was an alcoholic like her dad, so she left me then and there. I saved it as a memento of sorts, and recently found it in a box of old stuff.

Will consider any reasonable offer, it is in old stubby style green bottle and will have a never seen rebus in the inside of cap, but I do not guarantee how it will taste.

I love celllaring beers. I have many kind of old for me. When I first bought my house almost 20 years ago I figured Id start cellaring. One of the first beers I threw in there was a Petrus. Along the way Ive put many others in there. One that made it in there was my first homebrews that every so often I still open and still am amazed. I still have some left. The best thing is the experience. I dont think you'll get much if anything from the Guiness in taste. However, probably alot from the memories. The Petrus I learned was pasteurized and not right for cellaring. Its bad. I had a BCBS from Goose Island. The infected. It was actually an experience of amazing horribly tastes. Theres a date reserved for raiding your cellar. I dont know the date but thats not the meaning of it. Its about not worrying about storing for that perfect moment. The perfect moment is now. Take a night and make it a special night. Enjoy it for what it is. Especially the moment and remember it.

I bet it's fine. Pop it open and try it.

This isn't a bottle of Chateaunenf du Pape worth a few hundred dollars.

All the Best,
D. White

Back