Affordable Sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeart

TwoHeart
Reaction score
I've recently entered the realm of sours and they have quickly become my favorite beer. However, me wallet doesn't feel the same. The only affordable sour I have found around my neck of the woods is a sour mash ale from Lagunita's. And while it's good, it's not near the best. Affordable for me is at least under $10 a bottle... preferably cheaper.

Then start making your own. Sours are expensive due to the large time investment required to make them traditionally (non kettle or mash soured). This technique of long fermentation with bacteria also creates a much more complex (and IMO better) sour character which evolves over time.

It costs more for the brewery because in the several months they have some vessel tied up with a sour, they couldve cranked out like 8 or more batches of regular "clean" beer. As a homebrewer, all it can cost you can be an extra carboy for extended aging, and a commercial sour to harvest the dregs from

I'm not sure if a Gose technically falls into the sour category of not but you might look for Sierra Nevada's "Otra Vez". I think it's a pretty good one and, at least in the ATL area, it can be had fo around $10 for a 6 pack. Ashville's own Wicked Weed also has several sours that are really good. Surely being that close to you you could find those. Maybe you could take a visit to the local Wold of Beer there in Fayettenam and get some ideas from their book...I mean menu.

I've made some kettle soured, dry-hopped, 4% berliner weiss batches that have turned out quickly, taste great, and are very cheep.

Then start making your own. Sours are expensive due to the large time investment required to make them traditionally (non kettle or mash soured). This technique of long fermentation with bacteria also creates a much more complex (and IMO better) sour character which evolves over time.

It costs more for the brewery because in the several months they have some vessel tied up with a sour, they couldve cranked out like 8 or more batches of regular "clean" beer. As a homebrewer, all it can cost you can be an extra carboy for extended aging, and a commercial sour to harvest the dregs from

TwoHeart this is spot on advice from m00ps. Barrel aged sours are complicated, time consuming plus they can be a hit or a miss with wild strains that contribute to complexity. It can be done if you have the inclination and patience. I agree, they are AWESOME!!

Barrel aged sours are quite popular, and Wicked Weed's Funkatorium in Asheville is a good source of quality sours. Since they are in NC as you, maybe the prices are more reasonable. Westbrook in Charleston (near me in SC) offers some really good barrel aged sours. I have tried some unknown sours off the shelf at my wine/beers store, and they were not fit to drink. Very few bombers come in under $10, while most are between $10 and $15. New Belguim in Asheville makes a Kreik sour that is phenomenal!

Have you tried a Gose or Berliner Weiss style sour? As an example, Sierra Nevada makes a sour called Otra Vez at $8.99 locally per six pack. I make lacto sours produced from lactobacillus bacteria as in yogurt probiotics. I do a kettle souring method and have drinkable sours in around 3 weeks. They are not as complicated as brett and wild sours, but they are simple and easier to produce. If you are interested, let me know and I'll send you a quick link to follow with a recipe for a kettle soured beer called a no boil Berliner Weiss using wheat DME. I do AG but the DME can be a good trial run to try your hand.

I'm not sure if a Gose technically falls into the sour category of not but you might look for Sierra Nevada's "Otra Vez". I think it's a pretty good one and, at least in the ATL area, it can be had fo around $10 for a 6 pack. Ashville's own Wicked Weed also has several sours that are really good. Surely being that close to you you could find those. Maybe you could take a visit to the local Wold of Beer there in Fayettenam and get some ideas from their book...I mean menu.

I was responding when I saw your post pop up. I believe we are thinking alike!!!

TwoHeart this is spot on advice from m00ps. Barrel aged sours are complicated, time consuming plus they can be a hit or a miss with wild strains that contribute to complexity. It can be done if you have the inclination and patience. I agree, they are AWESOME!!

Barrel aged sours are quite popular, and Wicked Weed's Funkatorium in Asheville is a good source of quality sours. Since they are in NC as you, maybe the prices are more reasonable. Westbrook in Charleston (near me in SC) offers some really good barrel aged sours. I have tried some unknown sours off the shelf at my wine/beers store, and they were not fit to drink. Very few bombers come in under $10, while most are between $10 and $15. New Belguim in Asheville makes a Kreik sour that is phenomenal!

Have you tried a Gose or Berliner Weiss style sour? As an example, Sierra Nevada makes a sour called Otra Vez at $8.99 locally per six pack. I make lacto sours produced from lactobacillus bacteria as in yogurt probiotics. I do a kettle souring method and have drinkable sours in around 3 weeks. They are not as complicated as brett and wild sours, but they are simple and easier to produce. If you are interested, let me know and I'll send you a quick link to follow with a recipe for a kettle soured beer called a no boil Berliner Weiss using wheat DME. I do AG but the DME can be a good trial run to try your hand.

I can't speak for the OP but I'd love to try my hand at a sour in only 3 weeks! Can you post that link? Have you ever adapted it for AG?

I can't speak for the OP but I'd love to try my hand at a sour in only 3 weeks! Can you post that link? Have you ever adapted it for AG?

Easy to do a version with AG as I do. The process is the same and I single infusion (BIAB) mash 50/50 2 row and wheat at 150F. Of course you'll boil 60 min vs the no boil version since DME allows for this flexibility.

If you send me a PM with your email I'll forward you the recipe I have in MS Word.

For cheapish commercial sours I would recommend seeing if you can find a local brewery that does some. Assuming you're talking less then $10 for a 22oz bottle you're going to be very hard pressed to find a sour at that price

The only sours I know of that are under $10 are either some of the small bottle sizes of popular sweetened Belgian lambics such as Lindemans. Oftentimes they have krieks, framboise, etc. lambics for about $6 or $7 a bottle.

For American sours, the only breweries I know that do ones typically under $10 are either Gose or Berliner Weisse. I buy Sierra Nevada's Otra Vez, quite often. That's usually about $8.99 or $9.99 for a six pack. There are a few other six packs of Gose for about the same price.

The only sours I know of that are under $10 are either some of the small bottle sizes of popular sweetened Belgian lambics such as Lindemans. Oftentimes they have krieks, framboise, etc. lambics for about $6 or $7 a bottle.

For American sours, the only breweries I know that do ones typically under $10 are either Gose or Berliner Weisse. I buy Sierra Nevada's Otra Vez, quite often. That's usually about $8.99 or $9.99 for a six pack. There are a few other six packs of Gose for about the same price.

Anderson Valley and Terrapin both make a briny melon Gose that is worth a try.

I've made some kettle soured, dry-hopped, 4% berliner weiss batches that have turned out quickly, taste great, and are very cheep.
Would you mind sharing the recipe and process?
Here's one beersmith recipe. pardon the poor formatting of the "notes", it is a reported bug in beersmith cloud web page rendering http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1087630?&doid=57d04623f33e8

Here's a readable copy/paste:

7 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
6 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2
1.00 oz Tettnang [3.9%] - Boil 15 min Hops 3
1 pkgs Raw Lactobacillus starter (Propagated from grain #Kettle sour) Yeast 4
2 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 5

3/21/16, mashed 11 gal filtered softened tap water with 13lb grain, stovetop, 148F.
pH at and of mash was 5.6/7 despite 7mL Lactic acid.
Collected 9gal at 1.045 by refractometer, which seems too high.
Collected to 110F and pitched lacto starter, covered and sealed with plastic wrap, purged with co2, and set in temperature chamber at 110f on 3/21/16 9:30pm.
3/22 5pm 20hrs, pH 3.4/5, not tart enough
3/23 5pm, 44 hrs, pH 3.3, better
3/24 5pm, 68 hrs, pH 3.3-, just going to go ahead and boil it.
Boiled just under 9 gal, diluted to 11 gal total in two fermenters, oxygenated and pitched a full packet of in each, put in temp chamber at 65F.
3/24: 1.035 ESTIMATED.
4/1: 1.0065
4/2: 1.0065, kegged 4/3
Kegged 5gal straight, dry hopped 2 gal each w/ .6oz mosaic and simcoe, 2L with .2oz el Dorado on 4/3.
5/10: all gone

The procedure for the lacto starter was:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7585233&postcount=5
(more info: https://www.fivebladesbrewing.com/lactobacillus-starter-guide/ )
1) put 2 cups raw uncrushed malt in container (beaker)
2) add starter wort (1.030ish)
3) add Lactic or phosphoric acid to bring down to pH 4.5
4) top with water (and/or CO2) to remove almost all head space)
5) use an airlock or saran wrap + rubberband to prevent oxygen exposure
6) hold at 110F for 2-3 days
7) pitch to 110F wort (boiled then cooled) through a strainer

Tasting notes:
Split the experimental 5gal portion between simcoe, mosaic, and el dorado, at the pellet dry-hop rate of .2oz/gal (1oz/5gal) for 1 week. All were good. I did some testing and blending pre-keg and ended up deciding to blend the mosaic and simcoe, skip the el dorado in future (it was good, but not great).
My initial impression is that the dry hop did very well in balancing out the lactic acid, with the overall flavor perception being much smoother and more balanced than the straight berliner weisse.
I brought a growler if it to friend's house last night and got 100% positive results from everyone who sampled it, including:
-one who doesn't like beer (she's already a fan of my hard lemonade)
-one who "likes" beer about 25% of the time (I can never pin down a style pattern for her, but she doesn't like IPAs or BMC -- yet the aromatic hops worked well in this for her, Tinseth IBU was very low,6ish)
-2 people who tend to like craft beer
-2 people who brew

Right on. Making your own is rewarding, and it can be fun. After brewing a few of these, though, I'm totally sympathetic to the breweries that charge $10 or $20 for a bottle.

andrewmaixner.....I have looked for the answer to how low the ph will go question? For example, in your recipe, you had no additional souring for the last 24 hours indicating you bottomed out at 3.3. Do you feel this was the bottom of your souring level?

With OYL-605 I am hitting consistent numbers of 3.2, but I'd like to push this a bit lower and see what 3.0 would taste like. But it seems that the souring process wants to stall out like your data shows. Any thoughts?

andrewmaixner.....I have looked for the answer to how low the ph will go question? For example, in your recipe, you had no additional souring for the last 24 hours indicating you bottomed out at 3.3. Do you feel this was the bottom of your souring level?

With OYL-605 I am hitting consistent numbers of 3.2, but I'd like to push this a bit lower and see what 3.0 would taste like. But it seems that the souring process wants to stall out like your data shows. Any thoughts?

I have a crappy pH meter, and the resulting beer was plenty sour.
I did the same procedure again for an experimental brown sour, and it measured 3.2 or lower, and was too sour. So don't take my measurement nor results as gospel.

Thank you Morry!

It's because of Wicked Weed that I am now a huge fan. I picked up a bottle of their Brettaberry ale and fell in love.

And I am interested in brewing that Berliner Weiss if you could send me that link.:)

@TwoHeart - the only cheap sours you are going to find are berliner wiesse and gose. both are great styles, but they are of limited complexity.

one long-aged sour that typically isn't too expensive is Lindemans Gueuze "Cuvée René" - grab it if you can find it. it's unpasteurized so you can use the bugs in it for your own beers.

one long-aged sour that typically isn't too expensive is Lindemans Gueuze "Cuvée René" - grab it if you can find it. it's unpasteurized so you can use the bugs in it for your own beers.

Was coming in here to post the same thing. It's delicious.
Their Cuvee rene kreik is also fantastic... do not get the kriek and their overly sweetend version mixed up.
The cuvee kriek is fantastic

Coming in a little late, but as someone fairly new to sours, I understand the frustration at the cost of these beers, but I fully understand it. Some of the prices are ridiculous (sorry, Cascade...your beers might be good, but not $30/750ml good), but you can find beers that are a good value for the money.

The Bruery has supplied Trader Joe's with a beer called Wiki Wiki Tart that, at $9.99/750ml is a phenomenal deal. It's fantastic, to boot, and at 7.1% you feel you're getting your money's worth!

Latest posts

Back