Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley1271

Reaction score
So in my last batch for aeration I took a wire whip from the kitchen drawer, sanitized it of course, and whipped the wort till it started to foam up a bit. Is this a good way (meaning without buying an oxygen tank or fish tank aerator)? At what point do you know that it's aerated enough?

In the primary the bubbles have come to a stop as of yesterday (not sure as exact time, but sometime while I was at work). I put it in the primary Saturday. So I am assuming that is a good amount of fermentation and now the conditioning should be setting in right? Now it should be settling down and I plan to leave it in the fermenter for about 3 weeks in total, if not 4. That last week will depend on if I have any self control.

-Stanley

If your fermentation seemed healthy, then there must have been enough oxygen - so your technique must have worked at least well enough for that.

I just put in a solid stopper, turn my carboy over on its side and roll it back and forth for a few minutes so the liquid inside is violently sloshing around, that normally creates enough air bubbles for me. Of course, I haven't yet done full boils, so aeration is less a concern for me anyways.

I use an in line stone and pure oxygen. As suggested I turn the gas on once the ferementer is half full. I end up with about a 4 inch layer of foam on top of my wort that I sprinkle dry yeast onto.

Should work fine. I use one of these in my carboys. Never had a problem with aeration. It's sold as a wine degasser. 5 minutes with the drill and the wort is ready to go.

94.jpg

I use a drill attachment as well. Actually it was the first time this weekend. I usually plug the hole and roll and shake. But I hurt my shoulder so I looked for an alternative. Was pretty awesome.

I use a. pail so I just use the wisk method. I have had all of my beers finish at or below where they were supposed to.

Whatever works and Keep it simple.

I put my bottling bucket on the countertop and my primary on the floor. Splashing gives a real nice foam!

The best and cheapest way to aerate your wart is to just rock your carboy or bucket back and forth for 5 minutes. I have read experiments that measured the oxygen in wart for various methods and this simple method was far and away the most effective. No fancy equipment needed. K.I.S.S. method.

When I started I just rocked the fermenter to stir things up. I finally got a stone and O2 and it has definately made a difference. I think my yeast gets off to a quicker start. I have the stone on the end of a wand and just slowely stir it in the fermenter full of wort for about 2 minutes, then pitch. Has worked every time.

i also use the "rock back and forth method". dry yeasts for me start fermenting within 4-6 hours. liquid yeasts are usually within 12-16 hours.

I use a $9 Wal-Mart aquarium air pump. The $9 one has dual output tubes, the $5 one only has a single tube. I have the two tubes zippy tied to a small metal rod. After I pour my wort I put the sanitized tubes in and let it "bubble" for 40 minutes while I do my clean up. Well worth the $9.

Back