Aeration With Fish Tank Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masampson

Reaction score
Okay so we have a fish tank pump for aeration in our relatively new 3.5 BBL system. I know for homebrewing it is typical to use these, as well as straight oxygen, but for now we are just using air. However, I was curious if there is a way to know how much actual air is being put into the wort? It varies how long people aerate in a batch for a 5-10 gallon batch, but it is usually around 5-10 minutes it seems. To get any size batch to the proper amount of aeration, is there a rule of thumb or way to calculate how long it needs to go?

Only way to calculate amount of oxygen in the wort is with an O2 meter, not cheap. Also depends on the flow rate and bubble size. Larger bubbles will just bubble to top and not absorb as well as small bubbles.

I use medical oxygen via a 5 micron sintered stone and run a very slow flow rate, just rippling the surface, for about 40 seconds in a 5-6 gallon batch. I usually crank the flow rate for a few seconds at the end and pull out of the wort and put in sanitizor the rinse.

My mother passed 2 year ago. She had 2 tanks that she owned, small but I would guess, 5-7# ea., medical tanks are weird, not sized like normal tanks. Both are full. I have been using one for almost 18 months, I brew frequently and the gauge has not moved.

I have read a lot of folks use the Bernzomatic tanks from Lowes, HomeDepot type stores.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_91314-717-O...oxygen&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=oxygen&facetInfo=
You will need a regulator but it is worth it. Query 'berzomatic' on homebrewtalk and you will see tons of posts.

Never really cared about using oxygen till I stumbled across my tanks. Very Beneficial. From what I have heard, I will not be able to get my tanks refilled as they are medical green tanks, without a prescription, but I have also heard there is not way I will drain 1, much less, 2 tanks home brewing.

Back