Aeration System Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I'm looking for an aeration system that is not going to break the bank, but is going to get the job done. What is a good system?

Or do you recommend a pond pump and tubing from Home Depot and a stone from Pet Smart?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How big is the bank?
You can get a regulator that fits small O2 tanks plus tubing, filter, & stone for less than $40

Both WilliamsBrewing and NorthernBrewer have systems that run about $50 and use single use oxygen tanks from the hardware store. I believe those tanks run about $10-15, but should give you at least 30 batches per tank. Williams also offers a system using a refillable tank, but again, the cost of buying the tank isn't included.

Using a pump from the pet store and a stone will get you more than just shaking, but the pump doesn't actually make oxygen. So it's upper end is what the environment has to offer.

It really comes down to why you're wanting a system. If you make a starter, and pitch the correct amount of yeast, you could probably get away with sloshing manually or using a pond pump as the necessary growth is less, so the need for oxygen is less. That's what I do. If you don't want to do a starter, then a bigger system with pure oxygen will probably be better, more oxygen allows for more growth. I'm sure you can do both with no negative effects.

This is just my experience and what I've learned from research, take it for what it's worth.

I have been brewing for about 5 years, all grains for a year. Liquid yeast and starters about 6 months. I have had good success without shaking wort, or aerating. I leave the yeast starters on the bar and shake them every time I walk past them. They usually start fermenting in 2-4 hours.

I'm looking to move from good beer to great beer. I keep reading aerate the starters and wort!

Throwing O2 canisters in the landfill is appalling to me. My aquarium bubbler with a dif stone works fine. I'm almost always fermenting within 4 to 5 hours from pitching. I run it for 15 mins while cleaning / rinsing.

Like I just said I have been using liquid yeast for 6 months and never used any kind of aeration system...my beer is usually fermenting in 2-4 hours.

Back