aeration process.. when to add yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aekdbbop said:
when using an aeration kit, should you add your yeast first, then aerate? or visa versa?

Definitely add your yeast AFTER you aerate. Once you pitch your yeast....put on your airlock and back away from the fermentation vessel :D. Always aerate first and pitch second.

vtfan99 said:
Definitely add your yeast AFTER you aerate. Once you pitch your yeast....put on your airlock and back away from the fermentation vessel :D. Always aerate first and pitch second.

Why is that?

I have always pitched first then areated, that way I know the yeast is mixed throughly with the O2....

It doesn't really say that. You'd have to assume that fermentation starts immediately when you pitch. We're talking about aerating/oxygenating for a couple minutes and any of the ill effects would be negligible. Of course, unless you try aerating hours after pitching. That being said, I've done it both ways and can't tell a difference.

I just never take the chance. Many times my starters are in an active fermentation phase (due to my last minuteness). :D Probably has no affect whatsoever...just how I interpreted the texts that I have read.

I think this is dependant on how long you oxygenate for. If you're using straight Oxygen versus and aquarium pump, you're probably okay. But I use a medical air pump (it was free) and usually aerate for an hour and then pitch. I just feel safer that way.

I'm new to all this, so what do I know, but I'm not sure how much is gained by aerating for really long periods of time.

I imagine that once the dissolved oxygen (DO) is built up to saturation in the wort the DO will stay for awhile as there shouldn't be anything to consume it. Plus, cooler liquids hold gasses in solution better, in general. At least that's how it works with water. In general, DO is a function of temp and the concentration of other consitutents in the liquid (salt, sugar, etc).....

either way....:mug:

Back