Aeration for cheapskates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foosier

Reaction score
So, I am a bit cheap. I love the idea of an aeration set up but just haven't been able to convince myself to drop the coin to get one. I have tried the shaken fermenter bit and like most, am not sure my back can take that kind of beating. So while visiting a restaurant supply store in town to get a small clear bucket to use to ferment test batches, I found this...

http://www.zesco.com/18-Thick-Wire-French-Whips-Winco-FN-18-pz093D159.htm

Holy crap... I used this whip to stir my wort while chilling and could not believe the amount of air whipped into the wort. (Granted I guess I shouldn't be surprised since that is what they are supposed to do.)

The kicker is the one I got was $4.80. That is right, less than 5 bucks! Not too bad until I am ready for an aeration set up. Also, this allows me to aerate while I am cooling the wort. Double bonus on saved time.

Nice. I just use my bottling bucket to aerate the wort. If you set it on a counter and drain into your fermenter sitting on the floor you aerate the hell out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, I have done that too. I was actually looking for something that wouldn't ding the side of my kettle while stirring to cool. Saw this wisk and thought it might be the ticket. I was using it to stir a triple I brewed today and could not believe the froth is kicked up. Once I got it down to temp I went to town on it a bit more and am pretty sure I got as much aeration as can be expected without a stone of some sort.

I use this in my fermenter AFTER I have cooled the wort and let it rip for like 5 mins. I use a drill with a chord and get a lot of power. It works really well for me and was FREE. This along with pitching the appropriate amount of yeast is all I ever see myself needing for a thorough fermentation.

Unknown.jpeg

Nice. I just use my bottling bucket to aerate the wort. If you set it on a counter and drain into your fermenter sitting on the floor you aerate the hell out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use my bottling bucket when using a glass carboy as a primary fermenter. My kettle has a spigot so when using the plastic bucket it goes straight into the bucket on the floor and usually has 3 - 4 inches of froth on top before I pitch.

Back