Aeration concern - 5g extract Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylock

Reaction score
I've gathered supplies for finished the last piece I need to start on my first batch (the chiller. damn copper is expensive). Something that I'm concerned about now is if I will need to aerate the wort. Normally I suppose this wouldn't be a problem with a partial boil extract, but is it going to be worth spending the extra money for the o2 tank?

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

There is a post here or somewhere else which shows that the most efficient way of aerating your wort is just to shake, shake, shake!

Don't worry about the O2 tank if this is your first brew. When the wort is cooled, just pour it at a good height into the fermenter to make it splash around a lot (obviously, don't spill any on the ground).

Put the lid on. If you don't have a solid stopper, lay some plastic wrap over the lid hole and push the stopper (w/the airlock hole) in to seal it. If you do have a solid stopper, use that instead. Sit down and lay the fermenter horizontally across your thigh. Rock it vigorously left to right for 7 minutes. Set it down, remove the plastic wrap (or solid stopper) and insert and fill the airlock.

You should get perfectly respectable results from this. Take it to the next level some other day. I did 13 batches this way and they were fine. I started using O2 for the last couple batches and honestly there isn't a ton of difference. It cut my lag time in half, sure, but my lag time was generally only around 16 hours to begin with, but I use large starters.

Using a yeast starter is much more important than using O2, in my limited experience. After I began using stir plate starters, I've had to use blowoff tubes instead of airlocks or my fermenters would explode.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, this has definitely calmed my fears knowing I wont be spending any more money :)

What kind of yeast did you get with your kit? Some will disagree, but if you are using a good dry yeast, you don't even need to aerate. Being your first brew, keep everything as simple as possible. Keep it sanitary, and control your fermentation temps and you will have a very enjoyable brew in a couple of months.

Unless you're too old, too weak, or otherwise unable, I'd just fill the carboy half way, stop the transfer, shake the ever livin' crap out of it (with plastic wrap and a stopper in it), then fill it the remainder of the way, shake again. I generally end up with a layer of foam nearly pushing the stopper out when I'm done... and lag times in the 4-6 hour range with re-hydrated dry yeast... simple and affective.

There's a technique that I accidentally tried yesterday that worked really well. Just pour some water on the floor (ideally linoleum), place the carboy on top of the water, sit behind the carboy and straddle it, and slide the carboy back and forth rapidly. Once you get the right rhythm going, the wort really splashes around violently.

Rocking back and forth is good too, but I would put a piece of thick foam (like from a seat cushion) or a pillow underneath it. Those things come down with a lot of force when they're full.

Latest posts

Back