Aerating and pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beginner here. I have my second batch fermenting (first batch was awful but that's a subject for a different thread) but I have a quick question.

I've been doing a ton of reading on home brewing and wanted to get a little advice. After transferring to the fermenter, I've been aerating by shaking the poop out of my bucket. The question is, is it best to shake the crap out of it before or after pitching the yeast?

I've read multiple sources in which some say to shake before and other say to shake after. Does it even matter?

It doesn't matter.
I add afterwards, just so that the yeast are sitting in the wort, rather than stuck to the side of the fermentor not doing anything.

In fact for high gravity beer you can add Oxygen several hours later after pitching since the yeast have consumed most of it.
You would not want to introduce Oxygen past the lag phase unless it's a high gravity drink like Mead or Barley wine.

Thanks for the quick replies. I was a little worried after my first batch went so horribly wrong.

I checked the fermenter after about 30 hours and my airlock is bubbling like crazy so I don't think the yeast got stuck on the sides.

Back