Advise please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxwellwinter

Reaction score
I posted some newb questions a few days ago and greatly appreciate all the feedback I got. But, I have another question or two.

Currently I have my first batch of front porch pale ale sitting in the primary. It's been sitting for 3 weeks now (and counting) I popped the lid off 2 days ago to take a hydrometer reading and got a reading of 1.012 which is right where it should be according to the recipe. Today I took another reading and got 1.014. I am still getting sporadic bubbles coming out of the airlock (like one every 5-10 min). Is this normal? I figured fermentation should have been complete by now. The difference in readings may have been an error on my part because I just plopped the hydrometer in the bucket. May not have gotten a good reading due to debris on top.

It's been at a steady temp between 64 and 68 for three weeks now. I used a dry yeast that came with the kit. Should I wait to bottle until bubbles have stopped completely? Probably yes but just would like confirmation or advice. 3 weeks in primary seems like a long time to still have fermentation happening. Thoughts? Thanks!

You could go ahead and bottle at this point, your finished fermenting. I would also recommend getting a hydrometer tester tube to check your gravity readings putting something in your bucket can possibly bring infection and you don't want that.

Thanks. I am anxious to bottle but just want to make sure it's time. So the sporadic bubbling is ok?

I will be getting a thief for my next batch but I made sure the hydrometer was sanitized (3 times actually).

I'd bottle it up if I were you. That airlock may continue to bubble occasionally, either from yeast waking up a tiny bit, or from the whole thing heating up and the CO2 inside expanding.

Thank you all! So the consensus seems to be that I'm ok and I should bottle. You all are awesome. Appreciate the advice.

Back