Advice on vacuum bag size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a person on eBay that sells 5x7 bags that work really well. The cost is $18.95 for 100 bags (shipped). I've ordered them before with very good results. Just enter in "small vacuum bags" in the search area. There are actually a couple of different sellers.

Ok, thanks. So about how much whole hops can you fit into the 5x7 bag?

I buy 8" wide rolls and cut them to fit whatever quantity I'm looking to seal. All of my cascade bags are 2 oz. and the bags are 9-10" long. I always leave them slightly long because there will be times you will seal the end and then find out there is a ripple in it and it is slowly sucking air back in. Now you have to cut it off and reseal. If you start off with the bag as small as possible and then have a ripple, you will either have to bag less or get a new bag. Also, when trying to shove too much into a bag, you cannot get the end of the bag to be perfectly flat to get the perfect seal.

Believe me, there will be many times you think you have a bag set perfectly and proceed to clamp it down and hit the seal button only to find you had a ripple and need to do it again. Sometimes if the ripple is slight doesn't go to the end, you can re-adjust the bag on the sealer by moving it towards the opening and quickly do a second seal before air gets in.

IMO, Do not be conservative in bagging. Give yourself plenty of length.

Good point. Learn your machine and how it works. I've used mine to package hundreds of pounds if meat over the years and know its quirks, therefore am comfortable using smaller bags.

Food Savers have attachment ports so you can vacuum seal in Mason jars.

I highly recommend it, my set of 12 jars will last a lifetime, where as vacuum bags are a ripoff and every time i want to seal something i have to think if its worth the price of the bag to do it or not lol.

Vacuum sealing hops in jars is great because you can take out any amount and reseal it, and not have to put it in a new bag.

Back