advice on splitting a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinout

Reaction score
after reading an article on here about easy ways to get varieties of beer, one of the suggested methods was just splitting an extract kit (or any 5gal brew) but using different yeasts in each.
well that made me decide to split my next extract kit, the la petite orange from northern brew. i just have a few questions on how exactly i should split it.
the directions suggest adding orange zest and/or coriander at flame out. so i'm thinking maybe i'll do 2.5gal w/ each, just to have a slight variety. if that's the case, do i carefully split my liquid yeast between the 2 fermenters?
OR, i also have a 2nd belgian style dry yeast. should i just do the full amount of liquid yeast in one half and the full dry in the other half?
this will be a full boil, so i should be able to divide it in half w/out any issues. hopefully i can dump between 2 fermenters, add zest to one and coriander to the other.
if i should stick to just using the liquid and splitting between the 2, i can make a starter if that would make the difference in anyone's opinion on which way to go. and by starter, i mean it'll be a poor mans version....no stir plate, just malt and yeast in a big glass that i shake/stir the heck out of.

thanks for any input

If you're going for comparison of flavor additives like the orange or coriander I would suggest sticking with the same yeast and making a starter. That'll give you an idea of how the flavors work with the recipe. Adding the flavors and different yeast won't hurt but will make it hard to judge your flavor additions.

Or if you've got the equipment split it into 4 fermenters and do the different yeasts and flavor additions. Two orange each with different yeast and the same way with the coriander.

Experiments like this really don't have a wrong way to do it.

I have made the La Petit Orange kit!
Something to know about this batch. We called it "La Petit Exploseev" because we had foam geysers after a few weeks in the bottle, that high gravity yeast clearly still had fermentables to chew on, plus the priming sugar.
So, give it time to ferment. Id suggest changing only one thing about the two mini batches, to isolate the differences. Experimental and control group and whatnot.

Another way you could also split it up is use honey instead of candi sugar in one half.

after thinking about it awhile, i did realize i was talking about 4 possible brews, and since i don't have enough fermenters (yet:D), i think i will just vary the batch 1 way, just not sure if it'll be the yeast or additions i change. this is more for me to have variety, and less as an experiment......learning experience either way.

good to know about the long ferment time too. my first 2 batches (only ones i've done) both sat for about 5 weeks before bottling. should i expect this one to go longer? i have a hydrometer, so i'll be testing, but knowing ahead of time is also nice too.

Latest posts

Back