Advice on new Setup (esp. using Kitchen Fridge for Keg)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oljimmy

Reaction score
Hi all, I've relocated to a small NYC apartment and I need to start brewing again. The #1 restriction, imposed by the Powers That Be, is: no more fridges. The #2 restriction, imposed by me, is: no bottling. So here's my all-grain, 1.75 gallon batch, BIAB plan:

- 4.4gal Gigawort Electric Brew Kettle for no-sparge mashing and boiling
- 3 gallon carboy with basic cooling sleeve for fermentation (i.e. using frozen bottles of water)
- 10 inch high 1.75 gallon keg that will... somehow fit in the kitchen fridge?
- 2.5 gallon CO2 tank that I will (hopefully?) be able to lay on its side.

I'm working with a fridge shelf that is 10.5" high and that has a little 7" wide slot at the top that can be raised slightly to maybe give me a couple more inches in key areas. After googling and searching these forums, I can't really come up with an answer to this basic questions: has anyone figured out the best way to keg in a standard kitchen fridge without significantly altering the fridge?

Anyway, any/all thoughts are most welcome.

Last edited:
Couple things. I'd suggest a brew jacket for fermentation temp control. Given that you're making such small batches, theres a few options out there for over sized growler type options. Maybe you can find larger sizes or multiple smaller. I'd go with a disposable CO2 cartridge instead of a CO2 tank. Theres adapters that pop onto a ball lock post.

You can't put a CO2 tank on its side. The CO2 inside is liquid with a gas layer on top, like a propane tank.

What you CAN do is pressurize the keg, draw some beer, and re-pressurize it once in a while... though that would be often, with a small keg. (But not being able to keep the keg and CO2 cylinder close would make carbonating in the keg difficult. You'd have to do a "shaken baby keg" force carb.)

Probably, for dispensing, you would need to use one of the small disposable CO2 cartridges like @Jtvann said. Those are much more expensive than a regular CO2 cylinder, but hey, everything in New York is expensive, right? Oh and also, be careful not to bump the tap handle and spill beer from the microkeg in your crowded fridge... the Powers don't like that... ask me how I know.

Unfortunately, either bottling or another fridge would make things easier easier.

You know, the other day, on another forum, someone told me "hobbies are an investment in yourself." Tell the Powers that Be you need another fridge, and then drop that line on her or him... and do let us know what happens if you try it. I can tell you, my wife did not buy it.

Maybe you could get an "end table". ;)

mini-fridge-end-table-man-refrigerator-small-top-hidden-fantastic-kitchen-exciting-m.jpg

You can use a paintball tank and a regulator for carbonating/serving your beer. That doesn't take up much room at all.
Like this:
upload_2019-7-3_19-38-28.png

As was mentioned, you can't put a c02 tank on its side, but a paintball tank should work for you.

Couple things. I'd suggest a brew jacket for fermentation temp control. Given that you're making such small batches, theres a few options out there for over sized growler type options. Maybe you can find larger sizes or multiple smaller. I'd go with a disposable CO2 cartridge instead of a CO2 tank. Theres adapters that pop onto a ball lock post.

Right on, I'll try that option for sure. Thank you.

You can't put a CO2 tank on its side. The CO2 inside is liquid with a gas layer on top, like a propane tank.
You know, the other day, on another forum, someone told me "hobbies are an investment in yourself." Tell the Powers that Be you need another fridge, and then drop that line on her or him... and do let us know what happens if you try it. I can tell you, my wife did not buy it.

Thanks SO much for that CO2 tank info. I will work on the PTB, that quote is gold, ha ha!

You can use a paintball tank and a regulator for carbonating/serving your beer. That doesn't take up much room at all.

As was mentioned, you can't put a c02 tank on its side, but a paintball tank should work for you.

SUPER helpful, thanks! I will definitely use one of these tanks in my setup, looks like it could carb and push out at least 5 or 6 of these little kegs. And great to see you're still going on here, Yooper, you're a legend!

Last edited by a moderator:
- 2.5 gallon CO2 tank that I will (hopefully?) be able to lay on its side.

2.5 gallon? and as was already said, at 750 P.S.I. co2 is a liquid.....

are you set on beer? cyser would be an option for homemade alcohol, that doesn't need to be carbonated...

Latest posts

Back