Advice On My First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_uk

Reaction score
On monday i started my first batch, and by the evening it was going well with a good krausen and the airlock was bubbling away, but by the morning all signs of activity had ceased, at first i thought that this might have been due to slightly cold conditions so i moved it to a warmer room. But there has still been no activity since the first evening. Im sure the tub isnt leaky and i peaked inside and there isnt even a thin layer of foam on the surface. i am considering re-pitching some more yeast, but id like to get the opinions of people who know what they're doing. Thanks.

chris_uk said:
On monday i started my first batch, and by the evening it was going well with a good krausen and the airlock was bubbling away, but by the morning all signs of activity had ceased, at first i thought that this might have been due to slightly cold conditions so i moved it to a warmer room. But there has still been no activity since the first evening. Im sure the tub isnt leaky and i peaked inside and there isnt even a thin layer of foam on the surface. i am considering re-pitching some more yeast, but id like to get the opinions of people who know what they're doing. Thanks.

My first batch acted the same way...when I peaked at 24 hours all the Krausen had already come and gone, but you could tell from the ring that it had been there. I just left it another three days (never saw much bubble activity) then racked to the secondary. If you've got a thief you could take an SG reading, but if it was mine I'd just leave it alone for a couple more days.

Back