Advice on first Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConAcide

Reaction score
I'm going to be making my first beer on Saturday -- a Hefe. I'm going with extract on this brew. I'll post the recipe I've concocted and see what you guys think about changing it.

Recipe type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 3333 OR White Labs WLP3333
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.021
IBU: 8.37
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.99 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days/68 degrees F
No secondary fermentation

Edit: I missed a few fields

6 lbs liquid wheat malt extract
1 lb dry wheat malt extract
1 lb malodextrin
1 oz hallertau for 60 minutes

What do you guys think? What would you change? Doe this even look somewhat okay?

Hah, whoops. Sorry, I'm new to this. The fermentables would have been

6 lbs liquid wheat malt extract
1 lb dry wheat malt extract
1 lb malodextrin

and hops:

1 oz hallertau for 60 minutes

You're missing the hops (hallertau probably) and the amt of LME/DME. <oh, wait, updated>

I'd hold off on the maltodextrin, what temp will you ferment at?

Any particular reason to omit the malodextrin? I went to a brew class and everyone there was swearing by malodextrin, although I'm still trying to figure out why/why to not use it.

I think your IBU's are a touch low. I would aim for 12

The AA of Hallterau is on the low side. Might need 2 oz. I'd shoot for 12 IBU

Lose the maltodextrin. It will bring your FG down. It is too high at 1.020. The beer will be too sweet and not bitter enough at 8 IBU

Take a look at the popular Hefe recipes in the database.

You want to use the Weihenstephaner strain of yeast. Both Wyeast and WLP do the same one the numbers are not 3333. It is close to that though for WYeast 3568 I think.

I'd ferment for 10 days at 66f in the primary and package it up.

I'm personally not a fan of Wyeast 3333. I'd suggest White Labs WLP300/Wyeast 3068 for a traditional German hefe taste or White Labs WLP380 for something a little different.

I'd also ditch the maltodextrine and agree with shooting for something more like 12-13 IBU.

Latest posts

Back