Advice on cramming buckets into my chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supermoth

Reaction score
I just bought two 6-gallon buckets so I could move up to five-gallon batches. I was previously fermenting in 5-gallon carboys, and two carboys fit easily in my chest freezer. The actual dimensions of my new buckets are a little bigger than the manufacturer specs, with the result that they don't quite fit side by side on the floor of the chest freezer. The bucket is also too tall to sit on top of the compressor hump.

One way I can make both of them fit is by wedging the second bucket in between the first bucket and the compressor hump, like I've shown in the attached picture. This means that the corner edge of the compressor hump will be pushing into the side of the top bucket, and the bottom edge of the top bucket will be pushing into the side of the bottom bucket, but not at as sharp an angle. The buckets are 0.9 mil plastic with hammer-down lids and seem pretty strong, but I still worry that it might be a bad idea to cram them in this way.

I was also thinking I could getting something small to put under the the wedged bucket, like another bucket, so it could rest on a "seat" and alleviate some of the pressure.

Has anyone done something like this, either with success or failure?

IMG_0600.JPG

Looks like you still have some clearance for placing something on top of the hump and then having the second bucket on top of that. Just make sure it's pretty solid...nothing like a plastic crate that could bend a lot under a full bucket.

The picture must not be very good. From where I'm standing taking the pic, the hump is in the back of the freezer on the right and the bottom of the bucket is just wedged between the hump and the lower bucket. If I put a strong crate or stepstool under it, it would alleviate some of the weight and keep it from getting wedged tight enough to stick, but I'm still concerned about damaging my bucket by having the edge of the hump digging into the side of the bucket. The bucket is too tall to place on top of the hump, unfortunately.

If all you need is a couple of inches, a collar between the lid and the freezer body would do it and they aren't hard to make. A recessed area cut into the plastic panel of the lid might get you a small amount of clearance; careful reshaping of the one bucket with a heat gun might allow it to sit in there more squarely against the other with a little support from beneath it; maybe leave the lid open enough for clearance during fermentation and insulate the gap some other material temporarily - cold sinks!

If you are makeing ales, one week in the cheast freezer is all you need. I ferment in mini fredge for a week, then take it out of the fridge at room temp, to make room for my nest batch.

@Junkster, I have seen collars made by other members of this site. The problem for me is that I'm 5'4" and the chest freezer rim is already at waist height. It's hard as it is for me to heft the full bucket in and out of the freezer.

@wiggy, just trying to increase capacity for my time! I usually do double brew days of two beers that are temperature compatible. I also like to have the extra control of raising temperature over time and/or cold crashing.

I guess I'll just fuss with the buckets until I find something that looks comfortable for them (anthropomorphizing!).

The bucket is too tall to place on top of the hump, unfortunately.

Oh okay. I thought the tipping bucket was on top of the hump, but leaning against the other bucket.

Without a collar, I'm not sure this is going to fit. With a collar, you could get two narrower buckets in there...like these: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_464&products_id=13474

If you don't want to build a collar, another option I see is just researching the crap out of other fermenting vessels and their dimensions...it's possible that a combination of one tall and one fatter (on the hump) could fit...but I'm just guessing.

...it's possible that a combination of one tall and one fatter (on the hump) could fit...but I'm just guessing.

That's a good idea. I'll be on the lookout for a short fat food grade tub.

I think what I'll do is fill the second bucket with water and place it in there for a couple days to see if it sustains any damage. If not, I'll assume it's safe to proceed with beer!

Back