Advice needed on correcting a degassing foulup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman_ii

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used bentonite on two batches that I am making in parallel, and it cleared a bunch of stuff, then I used Keisesol and Chitosan, and it didn't clear for crap... worked wonders last time, and trying to figure out what went wrong. The only difference is that last time, the wine had sat a LONG time, and was not in need of degassing, this time it was just a bit out of secondary, and had plenty of CO2 entrained in solution. Last time I did this, there was a virtual explosion of floculated material, I knew something was amiss when that didn't happen this time.

I degassed this morning, but the question now is, will the keisesol and chitosan in solution still drop out floculatted particulates, or do I need to re-dose? And for that matter, is re-dosing safe?
(so much for expediting before x-mas)

Thank you in advance!

If you are in a winter area, a little vodka in the airlock and set the vessels outside covered out of the wind to cold stabilize for a month. That usually takes the stubbornness out of the suspension

If you are in a winter area, a little vodka in the airlock and set the vessels outside covered out of the wind to cold stabilize for a month. That usually takes the stubbornness out of the suspension
Unfortunately for this (but fortunately on ALL other counts) I am in Texas, temperature today will be 77 on December 28...

Update
I treated with Keisesol and chitosan again, and they seemed to clear out, not perfectly, but close... then I backsweetened, which clouded everything up again (yes it was stabilized, and no, fermentation did NOT start again)

My normal procedure with which I have had luck so far is to rack to a Corny Keg and cold crash while force carbing... granted, I try to get it clear as glass before refrigerating to cold crash, but I may just have to try my luck with it cloudy... going to let it set a couple weeks just to see what happens, then cold crash and hope for the best.

I have had some whites go that route after post sweetening, it will drop some suspension if it sits. After bottling I have found the individual bottles clear after 6 months on the rack, there will be a slight layer of dust on 6:00 side of the bottles, best thing is to pull a bottle out of rack and set upright for a day or 2 before opening.

Back