Advice needed on all citra pa or ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewvandal

Reaction score
So I have nine pounds of brewers gold DME and three pounds of Pilsen light DME. I have 1 lb of citra whole leaf hops. I've never brewed my own recipe before so need some advice. I want to make two identical or similar 5 gallon batches with this. Here's the recipe I'm thinking.
4.5 lbs brewers gold
1.5 lbs Pilsen light
1 lb sugar
8 oz citra? Not sure how I want to do the hop schedule but definitely want a pretty hoppy beer and want the citra to shine through.
Any advice, criticism is greatly appreciated

Try to find a different bittering hop. I've heard that citra can be "catty" as a bittering hop. I like Warrior or Columbus for bittering.

Put a lot of citra late in the boil. I usually do additions at 15, 10, 5, and flameout. Save a couple ounces for dry hopping.
I've never used whole leaf hops and don't know how it would be different than pellets

i would skip the crystal malts. you've got some in the DME.

a full pound of sugar is a bit on the heavy side, IMO. i'd go with half pound.

if you want to use a lot of citra, why not make it all late additions? 1 oz at 15 min, 1 @ 10, 1 @ 5, 2 @ flameout, 3 oz dry-hop = 8 oz total.

Thanks for the link, very helpful. If I make all the citra late additions, do I need a bittering hop for the full boil or will I get enough bitterness just from the lAte addition citra?

Thanks for the link, very helpful. If I make all the citra late additions, do I need a bittering hop for the full boil or will I get enough bitterness just from the lAte addition citra?
enough can come from the late additions.

if you are going to get into making your own recipes, i would strongly recommend that you get some dedicated brewing software. i'm a big fan of BeerSmith, there are other options out there. there are online versions that aren't as powerful, but are free - like hopville.com.

by plugging the amount, AA% and time of your hop additions you can see how many IBUs you are adding. these are estimates but should give you a good idea of how bitter the beer will be.

Awesome thanks for all the help. Will brew it up tonight and do the late hop additions. Is 8 oz of citra hops too much for the grain bill?

Is 8 oz of citra hops too much for the grain bill?
it's not just the quantity, but also when you use them. adding all 8 oz at 60 minutes wouldn't be a good idea. the two hop timings suggested so far - the zombie dust clone and mine - should make for a very hoppy but not out of control (well not entirely) brew. it will be very hop-heavy, tho.

which is just fine by me since i believe in MOAR HOPZ, but those with more sensitive palettes might not abide.

I also am a hop fan so I'm gonna go with the full 8 oz or late addition. Thanks everyone for the help

Would this brew benefit from keeping any of the Citra for a bittering addition for (60+ mins) even if just a small amount? Would boiling it for 90-120 min smooth out the "catty" flavors out?

I'm just curious as I'm still learning how the flavors develop and starting to make my own recipes.

.5 oz Bittering @ 60-120 min
1.5 oz Flavor @ 20 min
2oz Aroma @ 5 min
4 oz Dry Hop, (2) 2oz additions @ 5 days each AFTER fermentation has completed

How does this look? I've had good results from shorter dry hops, great fresh afroma.

I did an all citra pale ale-ish beer. I call it that because was basically partigyled from a DFH 90 recipe with a few other leftover grains in the mash as well.

OG 1.045

Hop Schedule
0.5 oz Magnum for 60 min
0.5 oz Citra at 15, 10, 5, 0
Dry hopped with 1 oz Citra and 1 oz Amarillo for 7 days.

It is perfect on the bitterness but light on flavor. If I brewed again I would double or triple the flavor additions used. The aroma is great and its super easy to drink.

Back