Advice for brewing "big beers"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrillasaurus

Reaction score
So I've got 2 successful brews under my belt and decided that I want to brew some "big beers" for my next couple of brews, starting this weekend with an RIS. I have tentitive plans for a Belgian Dubbel and an American Barley wine in the future as well.
Right now, I mostly brew from custom kits made in collaboration with my LHBS, which include steeping grains and DME. Is there anything I should keep in mind when brewing, fermenting and bottling big beers? Any common newbie mistakes I should watch out for during the process? All my regular beer has turned out great so far, thank to all info on this site, and I'd like that to continue lol.

Thanks. I didn't even think about that. So used to just pitching the whole packet of vial. Guess it's time to man up and break out the pitching calculator.

Keep the yeast happy and be ready for a blowoff because big beer fermentations can be crazy! And with vigorous fermentation, watch yiur temps, too.

Maybe consider putting a big beer on the yeast cake from a freshly bottled batch? I did that for my first couple big beers and had good success. (you can also keep the yeast happy with an appropriately sized starter, nutrient, pure O2, etc.)

Forget the "pitching calculator"...more yeast the better should be your line when deaing with Big beers. Yeast starters are a must and yeast nutrient, along with proper aeration. Be prepared for 10-14 days in primary and atleast 2 week to 8 weeks in the secondary for good Dubbels..longer you age the better. Not quick turnaround times. I recommend brew a Dubbel, take notes, and after you transfer into secondary, brew another easy brew followed by another easy, so that you'll have something to drink while waiting for your Dubbels to age properly.

I have a bunch of nutrient from a batch of cider I recently started up, and that will definitely be going in. I've never made a starter before, but now sounds like the time to learn.

And don't forget patience. My last big beer (12ish ABV) I brewed on Christmas weekend 2102. Not gonna touch it until Christmas 2013.

typo..you meant 2012, right ?? JohnnyO said you got a Delorean?? :rockin: That's awesome

Back