Advice for 1st time brisket smoke please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie_b

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a newbie here. I have been reading a LOT of your posts and I am learning a lot. I plan to smoke an 8-9 pound brisket for Christmas day and so I have been reading to try and be clear on how to do it. A little about me: I am outside of Dallas, Texas. It will be in the 50's that day. No rain. I have a New Braunfels offset smoker given to me by a neighbor when he moved away. This is my 3rd smoke. I can maintain heat pretty well for 4-6 hours, but I made some mistakes the first couple times I smoked beef ribs and then a pork tenderloin.

My old (probably wrong way): Light Kingsford charcoal in cannister, pour in fire box when ashed. Drop a dry pecan log on top, add meat, adjust vents to maintain temp. Spray apple juice on flaming log when fire gets too big. Add new coal around edges of fire box and fresh log on top when old one burns out. Meat was WAY too smokey.

Where I am now: Planning on around 8 hour smoke, wrap in foil and put in oven 3-4 hours then rest. I plan to buy 20 lbs of Kingsford Charcoal. I have a bag of apple wood chunks, I have a bag of pecan logs. My question is: "How do I best use these and how much do I use?"

My rough plan is:
1) Light coal in cannister till ashed then add to fire box.
2) Pile on dry apply wood chunks (not sure how much) and let them ash over.
3) Dry rub brisket while waiting for wood.
4) Soak pecan log for about 2 hours prior to go on wood pile.
5) Add soaked log and then add meat.

Please correct any mistakes above or let me know how much apple wood chunks to add?

From here, things get confusing. When the temp drops do I add more ashed coal from the cannister? Do I pile on more dry apple wood chunks? Do I light apple wood chunks in the cannister and add the ashed wood? Do I drop on another soaked log?

Sorry for the length. I think I have all the pieces to the puzzle, just not exactly sure how to make them all fit. Thank you so much! If anyone would mind giving me a 1-2-3 step process with the materials I have to work with, I would much appreciate it.

I wouldn't soak the logs. That is going to cause them to smolder and give off heavy smoke and make the meat way too smoky again. I would also cook by meat temp and not time. Get your heat where you want it whether it's wood or coals then put meat on til it hits about 155. Then wrap in foil and continue the fire or put in the oven until it hits about 203. The cleaner you can get the wood/coals burning the better. Thin blue smoke is what your after, not the thick white/gray stuff. Once it hits target final temp I rest mine in a cooler for a couple of hours. Perfect every time. That's basically my method and it turns out great every time and everybody loves it. Good luck and hope this helps.

Go easy on the wood. Only really need to add wood once. When I do our annual pig roast I only add wood once at the beginning and then nothing but hardwood charcoal for the entire 8-12 hour roast! You don't need apple juice or liquid, that is what leads to overly smoky!

Have fun!

No soaking wood.

Only add wood for smoke when meat is cold (i.e., right wen you add the meat), and maybe again after 30 minutes.

Get the coals going in your chimney starter, dump them in your smoker, then add wood on top of them. You don't need to light the wood. A large handful of wood when you add the meat, and another handful after 30 minutes should be fine. If you use hardwood coal, you'll get some smoke flavor from that too.

To adjust the temp of your smoker, try opening the top vents all the way and then use the bottom vents to adjust the temp. You might also need to partially close the top vent to get the temp you want. I don't use that smoker, so maybe ignore if it doesn't make sense. You shouldn't need to spray anything to maintain the temperature.

Brisket is very lean, so foiling after it's gotten past the stall (~160) and has a nice bark is a good idea to retain juices. Also, let it rest for at least 30 minutes in foil once you remove it. This will allow the juices to move back into the meat.

Cut across the grain of the meat when slicing.

Thank you all for the replies! This is great. After reading your posts, it sounds like I will start my charcoals in the cannister and add to the firebox when ashed.I will get the temp up in the 250 range and then add a handful of apple wood chunks dry to the coals. I will then add the meat.

(Do the wood chunks then catch fire and I have a big flame going?)

Assuming all is well, if/when my fire temp drops to about 150F, or it looks cold, I will add another handful of apple wood chips (dry).

I will not be adding any more charcoal than the 1 cannister I used at the beginning. This 1 cannister of coal plus adding wood twice, should get me 8 hours of smoke at 150-250F during the time.

After the stall and the meat temp gets to 155F-ish or above, (guessing around 8 hours) I will wrap in foil and leave on the pit another 3-4 hours if the fire is still good, or transfer to the oven at 250F. (Is this correct)?

Last step is place in a large foil pan, top with foil and put in a towel lined ice chest. After the chest, do I still need to let it rest uncovered or anything or just slice it coming out of the chest?

How does this plan sound?

Sounds good. I don't think it will take 8-9 hours to get a 9lb brisket to 155-160. I run 225-250 and am getting 10-12 lb brisket there in 4-5 hours. No need to rest after the cooler rest. Slice across the grain and enjoy. I'm smoking a 12lb brisket tomorrow, can't wait. Really can't wait for the armadillo eggs using the leftovers.

I'm far from a pro at smoking meat but I've done my fair share of smoking, and have a handful of briskets under my belt these past couple years. I typically use either my gas smoker, or my Weber Performer (set up for offset smoking).

To touch on a few of my basic methods, I've smoked slow and low, around 225 degrees for 12-14 hours. I've also made some good briskets using the hot and fast method, around 350 degrees in as quick as 4-5 hours. Either can produce a good slab of meat. The most important thing to watch is the meat temp, as all pieces of meat will cook at their own rate. Be sure you have an accurate temp probe, and get your smoker dialed in.

I usually stick with a basic rub, and inject with at least some beef broth, if not some additional spice mix. I'll have smoke on the meat for only the first 3 hours. Once the meat gets to around 170 or so, I'll separate the point from the flat. I cut the point into burnt ends, place in an aluminum pan and dust with rub, sauce, and cover. I'll wrap the flat real good and add some beef broth in the wrap as well. I place both back into the smoker until I reach an internal temp of 190-195 degrees on the flat. Then I remove the flat to rest, up to 2 hours if I have the time. I usually let the burnt ends continue to cook, until the flat is ready to slice.

I agree with the folks saying to cook by meat temp, not by time...

...with one exception.

As others have stated, cook on the smoker until 155-160, then wrap in foil* and move to oven.

Keep monitoring the temp in the oven. When you get up to about 190-195, start trying the "toothpick test". Push a toothpick (or your instant-read thermometor, or something else very narrow) into the brisket in several places. It should go in easily (once through the bark). If it's still tough, wait 20-30 minutes and try again. Repeat until you find that it goes in with very little resistance pretty much all over the brisket, and you're done. Rest in the cooler, and you're good to go.

-------------
*Normally I don't suggest wrapping in foil, as that's a choice you need to make for yourself which you prefer as you gain experience, but since you're making your *first* brisket, for Christmas, I'd say you should foil it. Some people prefer the bark from leaving it unfoiled, but I wouldn't chance drying it out for your first brisket on a special holiday...

I wouldn't soak the logs. That is going to cause them to smolder and give off heavy smoke and make the meat way too smoky again. I would also cook by meat temp and not time. Get your heat where you want it whether it's wood or coals then put meat on til it hits about 155. Then wrap in foil and continue the fire or put in the oven until it hits about 203. The cleaner you can get the wood/coals burning the better. Thin blue smoke is what your after, not the thick white/gray stuff. Once it hits target final temp I rest mine in a cooler for a couple of hours. Perfect every time. That's basically my method and it turns out great every time and everybody loves it. Good luck and hope this helps.

This is exactly what I do and have placed top 5 a couple times in competitions. You can also season many hours before your going to put it in the smoker. You could also inject it for even better results.

Thanks again. I just bought a programmable thermometer. I am excited. I like to do beer butt chickens too and just having this thermometer I can leave in, as well as set highs and lows, will just be awesome.

I just picked up an 8 pound brisket from Sprout's Farmer's Market (hard to find a small brisket around here right now).

Last thing I think I need is to figure out what kind of rub to use. I am open to suggestions on a simple one or buying one. I usually season with paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, or along these lines for ribs and whatnot. Still have to research for a brisket.

Thank you all again for the responses, I really do appreciate it.

JB

Yep, simple is better and beef does well with a pepper forward rub. Save the sugar based stuff for pork.

For brisket I typically use salt and black pepper, measured 1:1 by weight (not volume). Then to that, I'll add some chile powder (I like ancho or chipotle, but will often use cayenne if it's all I've got). That's it. Nice and simple.

I'm going to start brewing soon! Just bought a new house and we're getting ready. Thanks!

Thanks! Finished the smoke at 8am at 203F. I'll post details of the experience soon.

Question: I have it wrapped in foil in a towel lined cooler for 2.5 hours now. How long can it stay there until it has to be refrigerated? Not sure when we'll eat. Can it stay there from 8am to 2pm? Want to be careful.

Thanks! I was not sure so it's back in the smoker at a low heat. Monitoring the internal temp at 143 now. Is that ok?

There's nothing better than home BBQ and homebrew. I meant to post this earlier but the wife came in with a "honey do" list and the rest of the day got pretty busy. I'm sure that your brisket came out well. For future reference the following forum has been very helpful to me. There are a couple of things about brisket that make it pretty easy.

1. "It's done when it's done." A large brisket generally takes about 14 hours for me, including the "burnt ends." Internal temperature is important, but more important is whether a temperature probe can slide into the meat "like butter." I set my temperature controller, attached to an external fan, to 225, and don't look at my brisket for 10 hours.
2. I use a 55 gallon drum, converted to a smoker, with an external fan attached to a piece of pipe that feeds air to the charcoal. I can maintain the heat that I want for about 18 hours if I want to, due to the size of my coal basket. I have found the BBQ Guro to be a great aid, but there are others that work well as well.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Edit: I guess you have to join the Brethren to view the thread. Do it; it's worth it.

Brisket rubs are as different as the kinds of beers that guys like. Here's mine, from "Backyard BBQ":

"Rub Me Tender Brisket Rub"

1 cup Turbinado Sugar
½ cup Kosher Salt
¼ cup Garlic Salt
¼ cup Seasoning Salt
¼ cup Granulated Onion
¼ cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Paprika
¼ cup Black Pepper
2 Tbsp. Lemon Pepper
2 Tbsp. Cayenne Pepper

This will make enough rug for several briskets. I take out about one cup of rub (more or less) and rub it in by hand, then seal in a large plastic bag for 12-24 hours before I fire up the smoker.

I'll be smoking some salmon to give as a gift in the next couple of days. That should go well with a pale ale, too...

Best,

Steve

Back