Adjustment for a 2.5 gallons batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
Hi again!
I'm here for another question before I brew my first beer. I don't want to do a 5 gallons batch... It is too much for me, I just want to experiment, craft and learn about the whole process to gain more knowledge. But not for the economy. I'll certainly share with my friends, but I don't see myself drinking 60 beers (even with the help of friends) in a short enough amount of time to brew another one. I also have limited space.

So, I think a 2.5 gallons batch would be more than enough for me. However, I would like to know the adjustment I need to make over a 5 gallons batch?

I know for some things, this should be only the half. Half of water, half of specialty grains, half of malt, half of hops. But, more specifically, what about yeast? Do I only take the half of the small package? Do I put it all?

Also, do I miss something here? I just want to make sure...

use the whole thing of yeast - it will get things going nice and fast for you.

also - I never get 60 beers out of 5 gallons. 5 gallons is supposed to give you about 2 cases, but for me it's usually closer to 42-44 (12 oz bottles). with a 2.5 gallon batch I would expect to get somewhere near 20 beers.

Also, using half the hops isn't accurate since size of the boil affects utilization. I would look into a trial version of Beersmith or Protools. They have batch size adjustment that is easy to use and accurate.

use the whole thing of yeast - it will get things going nice and fast for you.

also - I never get 60 beers out of 5 gallons. 5 gallons is supposed to give you about 2 cases, but for me it's usually closer to 42-44 (12 oz bottles). with a 2.5 gallon batch I would expect to get somewhere near 20 beers.
Really? I thought that using too much yeast would inhibit it from getting his optimal population and thus affecting the beer's taste?

Also, using half the hops isn't accurate since size of the boil affects utilization. I would look into a trial version of Beersmith or Protools. They have batch size adjustment that is easy to use and accurate.
Ok, I'll do that. Are they easy to use?

if you do a 2.5galon batch as a full boil, and simply half everything (except the yeast) You will get more hop utilization.

I think a 5gal boil uses 80% as much hops as a 2.5gal boil topped off to 5gal. this is because of the density of the wert.

I think if you do a 1.25gal boil, and half the hops, it should get you what you are looking for.

Really? I thought that using too much yeast would inhibit it from getting his optimal population and thus affecting the beer's taste?

But one packet/vial of yeast is usually not enough for 5 gallons, which is why it is suggested that you make a starter. For 2.5 gallons, 1 packet/vial is probably enough. Check out Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

if you do a 2.5galon batch as a full boil, and simply half everything (except the yeast) You will get more hop utilization.

Yep, any fudging of "improper hop utilization" is too tiny to notice. I have never had an hop issue in simply halving all my recipes for 2.5 gallon batches and I have done a ton of them....And I have probably done more 2.5 gallon all grain test batches than anyone else on here.....the idea of bad hop utilization in small batches is purely conjecture, and NOT my reality.

I have run the numbers in beersmith and guess what?....It is half of the 5 gallon recipe, give or take....Do a 5 gallon recipe and use the scale feature...and it usually is exactly half the amount of hops.....

Oh get a digital scale that measures both in ounces and grams and use the gram measurement for smaller amounts of hops. The ounce side ends up being less precise than the gram side..especially if you are doing a low ibu beer like a lager, that may only have a 1/4 ounce addition of something in 5 gallons...most scales won't measure down to 1/8th of an ounce but will read the gram equivalent to a couple decimal points.

And as to the yeast...use a whole pack, or tube or smack pack...the more yeast you use the better the attenuation, and the less stress the yeast are put under (no stress less chance of off flavors) over pitching is better than under pitching. I once did a 2.5 gallon belgian strong with a tube of outdated yeast and no starter, and it was still enough yeast to do the job...

Plus you can always harvest the yeast after you have multiplied it in the fermenter....

But one packet/vial of yeast is usually not enough for 5 gallons, which is why it is suggested that you make a starter. For 2.5 gallons, 1 packet/vial is probably enough. Check out Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator
Oh, thank you, I didn't understood what people were talking about when they talked about "starter". Papazian's doesn't mention it in his book (or very briefly). Now I understand more why many people in the many threads I've read mentioned it.

Yep, any fudging of "improper hop utilization" is too tiny to notice. I have never had an hop issue in simply halving all my recipes for 2.5 gallon batches and I have done a ton of them....And I have probably done more 2.5 gallon all grain test batches than anyone else on here.....the idea of bad hop utilization in small batches is purely conjecture, and NOT my reality.

I have run the numbers in beersmith and guess what?....It is half of the 5 gallon recipe, give or take....Do a 5 gallon recipe and use the scale feature...and it usually is exactly half the amount of hops.....

Oh get a digital scale that measures both in ounces and grams and use the gram measurement for smaller amounts of hops. The ounce side ends up being less precise than the gram side..especially if you are doing a low ibu beer like a lager, that may only have a 1/4 ounce addition of something in 5 gallons...most scales won't measure down to 1/8th of an ounce but will read the gram equivalent to a couple decimal points.

And as to the yeast...use a whole pack, or tube or smack pack...the more yeast you use the better the attenuation, and the less stress the yeast are put under (no stress less chance of off flavors) over pitching is better than under pitching. I once did a 2.5 gallon belgian strong with a tube of outdated yeast and no starter, and it was still enough yeast to do the job...

Plus you can always harvest the yeast after you have multiplied it in the fermenter....
Ok. Then, I won't worry about it. I'll believe your vast experience of homebrewing ;).

Back