Adjusting mash/sparge pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richross

Reaction score
I've never adjusted my pH before but I want to start fine-tuning my brewing process. I live in San Diego so water is very hard with a high pH. I use city water with a carbon filter for all my brewing and I'm primary brewing hop forward beers. A couple of things:

1)Do I adjust the mash/sparge H2O before or after I mash in/batch sparge?

2)I only have test strips, not a meter so does temp. affect the reading?

3)Is phosphoric acid a good method?

I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. I know when dealing with water chemistry things can get pretty technical but I for know I would be happy with just a jumping off point. Thanks

Hey, you need to update your location statement in your profile since it says Eugene.

Anyhow, SD water does have a lot of mineralization in some districts. If you are brewing primarily pale colored beers, a general acidification of all the brewing water is likely to produce a substantial improvement in your beer. Phosphoric acid is probably the safest option with less taste impact.

Without having information on the alkalinity of your tap water, it is difficult to recommend an acid dosage. If you aren't in the mood to figure that information out, a good approach might be to consult with your local brewers and homebrewers as to what they do. Joining a homebrew club does have its merits, fun being the main one!

I've never adjusted my pH before but I want to start fine-tuning my brewing process.

1)Do I adjust the mash/sparge H2O before or after I mash in/batch sparge?

Adjustments to mash pH should be done by the addition of acid or base to the brewing liquor based on calculations derived from knowledge of the alkalinity of the water and malts WRT mash pH. Absent knowledge of water alkalinity you would add acid until the desired mash pH is reached. This accounts for the water's alkalinity implicitly (in adding the acid to the water while checking pH you are doing for the whole volume what the lab analyst does on a sample).

2)I only have test strips, not a meter so does temp. affect the reading?
You won't be doing much 'fine tuning' with pH strips but acidifying the brewing water using them to check pH is probably one case in brewing where you could get away with their use.

3)Is phosphoric acid a good method?
Several acids will do but phosphoric has the advantage of being available at most brew shops and of being flavor neutral.

I'm trying to keep it pretty simple. ... I would be happy with just a jumping off point.

See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

Back