Adding Yeast To Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaplePaddle

Reaction score
I have a high gravity, dark beer that seems to have stalled out. I'm thinking of adding dry yeast. Any advice?

First off before adding new yeast, try rousing the existing yeast by gently swirling the fermenter and then warm the fermenter up. This may restart things but IME your get a couple of points this way.

If you are adding more yeast hydrate first then draw some of you wort off the main fermentation avoiding oxygenating it and mix it with the rehydrated yeast, leave a couple of hours and the add to the main fermentation.

For example rehydrate 1 pack of yeast with 150ml of warm water, then after the yeast is foaming, draw off 100ml of the main fermentation and combine with the starter. The add the the main fermentation.

Also you might want to choose a robust ferementer that is capable of chewing through things the primary yeast can't, using liquid yeast would open your options here.

I added Nottington yeast following Queequeg advice. Airlock activity for 3 days now. Time will tell how much of a drop I get and if I get any off flavours.

Latest posts

Back