Adding TC Bottom Drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robguthner

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if any of you have any input or have seen anything it’s like this before. I am looking to put a 1.5 to 2.0” tri-clamp Drain fitting to the bottom of my 30 gallons spike boil kettle. Mainly for cleaning purposes that pot is getting heavier and heavier to lift every time. Just looking to see if anybody out there has ever seen this successfully done as an addition on a kettle. I have attached Some pics as well as an example of what I wanna do.

https://images.app.goo.gl/QQC2TfrFyp8nS8FZ9

Attachments

• 16ABFCE4-4F46-4557-A82E-97492BB9F297.jpeg
    16ABFCE4-4F46-4557-A82E-97492BB9F297.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 73
Following ... Looking to do very much the same on a 58L Kegmenter ... since cost of 1.5" and 2" TCs are the same, wondering what the pros and cons are of each? ... assumed that 2" offered more flexibility, but am being told that 1.5" is more standard

I’ve added 4-5 TCs and 10+ 1/2 NPT fittings to various pots with pull through fittings from brewhardware.com

@Bobby_M has great videos showing how to do this.

Last edited:
Nope I want it smack dab in the center on the bottom for drainage

How much less liquid would you get out vs the current drain I only lose less than a gallon (maybe 4lbs)? A TC I think is still 1 1/2 inches tall.

Plus I don’t see a side TC so this must be a gas fired setup. You’d definitely need silicone gaskets due to the heat.

I’m probably missing something here.

How much less liquid would you get out vs the current drain I only lose less than a gallon (maybe 4lbs)? A TC I think is still 1 1/2 inches tall.

Plus I don’t see a side TC so this must be a gas fired setup. You’d definitely need silicone gaskets due to the heat.

I’m probably missing something here.
It’s not about what’s left it’s about lifting my 30 gallon kettles to clean them I’m going to be installing a 2 inch tc. Basically I want to see IP and hard pipe my entire system but in order to do that I need a central located bottom drain on my kettle and mashed done and hot liquor tank

I have been wondering the same for years but not willing to experiment with mine. Would love to see someone accomplish it. Spike says it is not possible without ruining the kettle.

I also bet for the cost of getting a good TIG you could buy a non clad Blichmann Kettle and do one of the pull through without the risk. And sell the existing to get some money back.

Of course the pull through will be 'slightly' bumped while the TIG could be completely smooth.

If I were to go that route I would order stout kettles with bottom drains already installed. But I'm pretty happy with my spike setup.

Well, I'd say it's about time for the premium kettle manufacturers to realize electric is the future and offer a version without the triclad bottom. Blichmann kettles certainly would work for that but then you still have all the weldless holes on the sides that you may not want.

Can you weld a TC through a triclad bottom? Suprisingly yes, at least in the one test weld I've done so far. I have a Tramontina brand kettle that was donated for this purpose. To make it as simple as possible, I installed the ferrule backwards in the hole so I could weld on the bottom skin and have good visibility. I expected the core material to completely contaminate the weld and it didn't happen at all. No apparent delamination either. However, I'm not a fan of shoving my head into a kettle to weld on the inside because I don't have a PAPR welding helmet.

Back