Adding sugars/molases for low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just finished a pumpkin ale all grain. My efficiency was really low. Came out about 1.027 SG and was expecting 1.56 for 75% eff. I had to use a grain bag in a ice chest, long story, never let friends borrow your mash tun!!! Fermenting appears active now but want a larger ABV instead of the wimpy 3% I'm calculating at best. Really want to be about 5.6 ABV. can I add brown sugar to primary/secondary to bring it up? Will the yeast eat the simple sugars first and forget about the fermentables? Any suggestions to salvage my brew it really smelled and looked awesome in the boil!!!

That's a great idea, thanks. I calculated I would need about 4 lbs if I go with crystal malt to get the ABV. Sounds like a lot. I used Vienna and Munich. I think I will add about a pound of crystal should yield another .5 ABV. Think I can get away with 2 lbs

Latest posts

Back