Adding sugars, ending fermentation, etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncfield

Reaction score
Hi All,

Posted some threads a couple weeks ago when I started my first cider (5 gals of pasteurized from my local orchard, no preservatives). Things are chugging along but I've got some questions and need opinions. I used White Labs 775 English Cider Yeast for this recipe. Fermentation will be at two weeks this coming Sunday in the primary. So now, my questions:

1) Is cider like beer in the fact that after fermentation slows/stops, do I take a gravity reading and then move to the secondary? I'm definitely racking it to a secondary, but does my timeline make sense?

2) I did not add additional sugars when the cider went in, although I'd like to boost the alcohol a couple percentages. I planned on using 2 lbs of light brown sugar. One of my LHBS said it would be ok to add the sugar when I rack to the secondary. Thoughts? Should I do this or save sugar for my next batch?

3) After my cider has throughly aged and clarified, what is the best way to stop fermentation? I've read people using K-Meta and some who use Potassium Sorbate. What do you recommend?

4) What if I want to carb my cider (I'm bottling)? I've read contradicting statements about when/if you can carb based on if you added sugars. Etc. If I opt not to carb, do u need to do anything if I'm bottling a still cider?

Ok, I think that's it. 😁. Sorry for the lengthy post. Any suggestions, etc will be taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1) Yes your timeline is good. I usually rack to secondary when SG is below 1.005. At 2 weeks with Nottingham yeast (and nutrient) it's usually below 1.000

2) I would add sugar while in primary. Otherwise you're going to get more lees in secondary.

3-4) If you want dry still cider there's nothing more to do after aging. If you want dry carbonated cider you add priming sugar at bottling time. If you want sweet still cider you use both K-Meta and Sorbate then sweeten to taste.

If you want sweet sparkling cider it gets complicated. Sweeten with unfermentable sugar and prime/bottle is the simplest method.

If you have a smaller batch of cider (say, 1 gallon) is it possible to heat pasteurize it to kill the yeast, then keg and back sweeten it?

I was thinking about doing just this - say, bringing my gallon or so up to about 160F on the stove, holding it there for 10-15 minutes, then cooling, and kegging with 1qt apple juice to sweeten and force carbonating.

Would that work, or do I really need to go find myself some K-Meta and Sorbate?

If you have a smaller batch of cider (say, 1 gallon) is it possible to heat pasteurize it to kill the yeast, then keg and back sweeten it?

I was thinking about doing just this - say, bringing my gallon or so up to about 160F on the stove, holding it there for 10-15 minutes, then cooling, and kegging with 1qt apple juice to sweeten and force carbonating.

Would that work, or do I really need to go find myself some K-Meta and Sorbate?

I don't know how that would work- a gallon seems like a lot to have get 160 inside the jug. But others have more experience that I do.

You can use k-meta and sorbate to stabilize, but if you're kegging (and can keep it cold) you can skip all of that and just keep it cold which will inhibit the yeast and not start fermentation again.

Back