Adding Sugar to a Low OG IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I want to brew a "session" IPA, And i want to brew as much as my MT will allow me. 10 gal of about 1.055 OG. I want to add a little bit of sugar (5-7%?) to bump the OG, but I don't want to dry out a beer that is already so small.
Would mashing high (157) help give the beer body to maintain while still adding sugar?
Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

Not sure I understand, you want to brew 10 gallons or have a MT of 10 gallons. A 10 gallon cooler MT will handle about 23# of grain which is more than enough grain for a 1.055 OG. If you want to brew 10 gallons you need a kettle at least 15 gallons in size or two separate kettles to split the wort.

With my 10 gallon MT I can brew beers up to about 1.090 using 20-23# of grains more or less and this would be for a 5-6 gallon batch size.

I have a 10 gal MT and I want to make10 gal. With my system I can get to about 1.055 of 10 gal.
I understand all that, my question is about the mash temp, body, and adding sugar. I guess I gave some unnecessary details.

I have a 10 gal MT and I want to make10 gal. With my system I can get to about 1.055 of 10 gal.
I understand all that, my question is about the mash temp, body, and adding sugar. I guess I gave some unnecessary details.

ok, do you have a recipe? without a recipe who knows if sugar would help or not or even mash temp. If you are looking for a well balanced slightly malty finish you would mash higher to achieve an FG around 1.012-4 maybe? Mash temp of 152oF perhaps maybe higher?

Kind of a tough question to answer without a starting point. Sugar will dry out a beer but who knows if the amount you are thinking about will without the recipe itself?

the higher mash temp will give you more unfermentables, yes, but were you planning on adding what kind of sugar ( Cane/Turbinado/ Agave/ Candi Sugar) and at what time during the boil? At 157* you're probably going to get some off flavors and tannins as well. 155* would be safer bet.

a break down of your grain bill along with the recipe would greatly help. Whats your target FG, what OG are you trying to get to, etc?

Here's my grainbill: (10 gal batch)
2 row 65%
Munich 22%
Munich 20 - 6%
Amber malt - 4%
Crystal 40 - 3%

23.25 lbs mashed at 1.25/qt per pound, with my efficiency I should be at 1.054, maybe a point or 2 higher.

So, I'm thinking of mashing at 156 AND adding around 1.5 lbs of Table sugar (sucrose) (which would equal 6% if the grainbill)

My overall question is: would my plan above warrant the same mouthfeel and body as just mashing at 150 and leaving out the sugar?

Bottom line: I want to add some sugar for a little more alcohol, without drying out the beer too much.

I don't think your numbers are going to work w/ a 10g tun. At 1.25qt/lb your strike volume is a little over 7g. I don't think it's going to fit in your tun.
I did a stout a couple of weeks ago that was 26 lb of grain & I used two 10g tuns for a 6 gal batch. My boil volume was almost 10g.
IMHO you'd be better off doing back to back 5 g batches.

I don't think your numbers are going to work w/ a 10g tun. At 1.25qt/lb your strike volume is a little over 7g. I don't think it's going to fit in your tun.
I did a stout a couple of weeks ago that was 26 lb of grain & I used two 10g tuns for a 6 gal batch. My boil volume was almost 10g.
IMHO you'd be better off doing back to back 5 g batches.

I've done this several times with my setup. It fits.

(!) Not happy with the responses........?

I'll assume you already are accounting for a lower efficiency with a maxed out capacity on the mash.

IMO you can add the sugar if you want and mash at 152 to keep the sugar from drying out the beer but its a guess, just make sure you're pitching a healthy starter or rehydrating dry yeast and aerating well. If you're looking for more body then mash at 154, cheers:)

Thanks duboman. I guess I'll just see how it turns out. I'm guessing 6% sugar won't be enough to do much, but it will raise my Apprx ABV from 6.3 to 7% :)

Thanks duboman. I guess I'll just see how it turns out. I'm guessing 6% sugar won't be enough to do much, but it will raise my Apprx ABV from 6.3 to 7% :)

I thought you were looking to brew a "session" beer? A session beer would be int he range of 4.5-5.5% ABV, at 7% you are no longer in the range of a session beer..........

yeah I think there is some confusion here...

anyway going to the original question...I always add 5-7% sugar by weight to my IPAs to help dry them out. You want a very dry body to help the hops come through since the hops are the focus of the IPA style. Consequently you absolutely DO NOT want to mash anywhere near 157. You'll end up with like a low ABV barleywine...I mash all my IPAs 148-150 but thats just me. I wouldn't even do a stout above 155...

Latest posts

Back