Adding squash to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilning Tom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Very new to this. Generously donated 5 litres worth of apples by a mate which I dutifully juiced and got ready to ferment. 100% pure apple juice.

Noticed I had some blackcurrent squash in the cupboard and thought this might be a nice combo so added a bit. Concoction is c. 4.5l apple juice 0.5l blackcurrent squash.

However upon reading the label, disaster! Squash contains the preservatives sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate which I now know to be an inhibitor of yeast.

Give it to me straight doc, have I f**ked it?

Thanks in advance

Did you already start fermenting the apple juice? If there's already a healthy fermentation going, it might be able to overpower the preservatives.

If you mixed it all together, and have not fermented yet, it's a tougher battle. Yes, you can still try to get it to ferment; it'll just be an uphill battle. To fight it, in a separate container, get a "starter" going. This is usually some mashed fruit (in this case, apples), sugar, and then yeast. The yeast will have a great time with the fruit mash for a day or two, reproducing and getting things going. Then, once it's a healthy bundle, you add that to your primary juices. The hope is that the healthy fermentation will overcome the preservatives in the juice.

Good luck, and keep experimenting!

Did you already start fermenting the apple juice? If there's already a healthy fermentation going, it might be able to overpower the preservatives.

If you mixed it all together, and have not fermented yet, it's a tougher battle. Yes, you can still try to get it to ferment; it'll just be an uphill battle. To fight it, in a separate container, get a "starter" going. This is usually some mashed fruit (in this case, apples), sugar, and then yeast. The yeast will have a great time with the fruit mash for a day or two, reproducing and getting things going. Then, once it's a healthy bundle, you add that to your primary juices. The hope is that the healthy fermentation will overcome the preservatives in the juice.

Good luck, and keep experimenting!

Hiya mate, thanks for getting back to us

I did start it going, thought I had nothing to lose. It seems to be thriving, in fact the cap of my 5l jug bust off and sprayed all over the roof while I was at work. Wife not too happy!

I seem to have got away with it this time but what are people's thought's re: flavouring with squash? Leave it while the second ferment?

Will come back with how it taste!

Back