Adding spices to your coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoadsrage

Reaction score
I just read the new Milk Street magazine (Chris Kimball's new cooking mag) and he said Arabic countries put a pod of green cardamom in with the beans and grind it. I have tried it a few times in the past week and it is pretty nice. I use a french press. It adds a soft but noticeable spice note to the finish. He recommended milk and sugar but I only drink it black.

Have you put other spices in the grinder or in the pot?

I was going to suggest cardamom when I saw the post topic. I sprinkle a couple dashes in the filter basket on weekends, frequently. Learned that one when I tried turkish coffee years back - one of my favorite ways to make coffee, but do it infrequently now.

I've added nutmeg/cinnamon/cloves for holiday coffee (think: pumpkin pie). Also, I got used to grinding a little coriander seed at one time. I liked that.

I'm drinking coffee with a little chicory in it right now. At first I didn't like it, but it's grown on me.

I like coriander in some beers, I will be trying that. Penze sold a warm spice blend that was really amazing, and I just used up the last of my jar. I will have to order some more and try it in coffee. And I never thought of pinons in coffee but now I'm curious.

Thanks.

I really like the coriander in my coffee this week. I was blending a Sumatra dark roast with a Mexican lighter roast, and some coriander. It has a brightness that is almost citrusy but doesn't add any more acid to the coffee. But it made me thirsty for some good Wit beers.

I really like the coriander in my coffee this week. I was blending a Sumatra dark roast with a Mexican lighter roast, and some coriander. It has a brightness that is almost citrusy but doesn't add any more acid to the coffee. But it made me thirsty for some good Wit beers.

Haha. I started adding it by accident. I used my spice grinder to grind a bunch of coriander seed for a pastrami I made. For several days after that my coffee, which I would grind daily in the same mill, had that orange-peel taste taste. I kinda got used to it and missed it when it faded.

Haha. I started adding it by accident. I used my spice grinder to grind a bunch of coriander seed for a pastrami I made. For several days after that my coffee, which I would grind daily in the same mill, had that orange-peel taste taste. I kinda got used to it and missed it when it faded.

It's lucky you weren't making soppressata picante or that would had a whole different flavor to your coffee.

Latest posts

Back