Adding spices to primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjay

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to homebrewing and would like to experiment with some spices in a Saison.

I am boiling 5gals that will then be separated into two 2.5gal fermentors and would like to experience with spices in one of them. I will not be racking into a secondary fermentor.

My question is: Is it possible to add the spices (coriander) to the primary fermentor at the same time as the yeast if i have made sure to kill off any possible germs in the seeds (either by quickly soaking in a bit of boiling water or by dry roasting them on a pan)

Adding them during the boil of the wort is not an option because i want one of the batches to be without spices and i won't be doing two separate boils

Hope you can help

Cheers

Yes. I like to simmer them in a little bit of water and add the spices and the water.

I’ve used a tincture several times for this type of stuff. For coriander I crush the seeds with a rolling pin and soak them in vodka for a few days. If you’re also using orange peel in the tincture you’ll want to strain it through a coffee filter or something clean. Then dump the vodka in your beer.

Add the tincture at bottling or kegging time.

folks that do this more than me might be able to chime in with ideal times to soak the coriander in vodka or when to add it to the beer.

From my experience tincture keeps coriander and orange flavor way better that whirlpooling or anything during the boil.

Okay i might go for the vodka soak - thanks for the help :)

Back