Adding some dark malt extract to a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcodville

Reaction score
Hey all,

The owner of the LHBS makes his own recipes and sells them in kits. He recently ran a competetion and the winner of the competition got their recipe made into an extract kit. I picked it up the other day, its a Irish Stout. It has 6lbs of pale malt extract, a couple pounds it feels like of unknown grains to steep (doesn't give the ingredient list) and 2oz of hops, can't remember off hand what type.

I have a 2lb tub of Dark Malt Extract that has been sitting in my fridge for a bit now, would adding this to the mix mess anything up? Or just give it a bit more malty character? I can't think of what else I'm going to use this 2lbs of dark malt extract for if not a stout or porter.

Thanks!

Do you have more hops? 2lbs dark extract is probably going to add more sweetness and body than you'd want without balancing it out.

I do have more hops in my freezer, 2 oz of magnum that I bought by accident a while back. I just checked the hops that came with the recipe is 2oz of norther brewer. If I can't use the dark malt extract its no biggie, or I might even just throw it in and see how it ends up, I don't think it will be undrinkable by any means.

Use an online calculator to see how much hops you should add to offset the dark extract. Bascially, you'd just have a stringer beer, perfectly drinkable. But it will be sweeter if you don't add more hops, and overly bitter if you add all those Magnums. It might just be 1/4 ounce you need.

Back