Adding Raspberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesjenks

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed a summer ale (extract kit from rite brew) that is lacking flavor. Truth is, I'm not so happy with the few kits I bought from ritebrew. All seem to be a little light/watery.

I keged this beer about 2 week's ago. Can I add raspberry extract (like sohttp://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/raspberry-natural-extract) to the keg now? Will opening the lid to add it harm my beer?

You can add the extract without damaging your beer. I would try and dial in the amount of extract to use by pouring a 100ml of beer and adding 1ml of extract at a time to figure out how much to use. Extracts can be very potent. They can also taste very extracty (artificial) if you use too much.

You can add the extract without damaging your beer. I would try and dial in the amount of extract to use by pouring a 100ml of beer and adding 1ml of extract at a time to figure out how much to use. Extracts can be very potent. They can also taste very extracty (artificial) if you use too much.

Great! Thanks for your input. Once added to the keg, should I give it a good stir?

+1 what jekeane said, it's really really easy to ruin a beer with too much extract.

I'd stir very gently or put the lid back on an rock it back and forth.

Why not just add actual raspberries? If you keep the keg cold the fructose from the raspberries won't ferment and will keep it's subtle sweetness and raspberry flavor. I always think the real thing is way better than an extract.

:mug:

Why not just add actual raspberries? If you keep the keg cold the fructose from the raspberries won't ferment and will keep it's subtle sweetness and raspberry flavor. I always think the real thing is way better than an extract.

:mug:

I agree on the real thing being better but you would need 3-5 lbs of raspberries and seeing it's already kegged and carbed you would risk a major blowout dumping all those berries in there. Then you would have to rack carbed beer to another keg. The best way to do that would be keg to keg but the seeds and little pieces of berry would make that a nightmare in m opinion.

I agree on the real thing being better but you would need 3-5 lbs of raspberries and seeing it's already kegged and carbed you would risk a major blowout dumping all those berries in there. Then you would have to rack carbed beer to another keg. The best way to do that would be keg to keg but the seeds and little pieces of berry would make that a nightmare in m opinion.

I didn't think about all those little bits of berry that would get stuck in the keg :smack:

Thanks for your input guys. I was thinking about doing real berries, but agree that the pieces/seeds would be to big of a PITA.

Gonna try to add the extract tonight.

Latest posts

Back